Thread: Is your excitement building?

Default Is your excitement building?

Mine is. I hope everyone has a blast during the '21 season. Been hammering it hard twice a day on the lower section of the American. No visuals or bites. Trying shad flies first with a follow through with a shad streamer for that hungry striper. Well keep an update if there is a catch. Should be soon!!

Should be American Shad and Stripers doing their spawning run up the Sacramento river.

They both come into the lower American, lower Feather. lower Yuba and Sacramento rivers near Colusa.

Peak of the Stripers is May.

Peak of the Shad is June.

Early and late in the day is good along with overcast.

They first show up at the mouth of the American and the mouth of the Feather rivers......April/May.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Can’t really get excited for Shad, 1 time out and I’ll get my fill. Good luck and hope you have fun.

Took a look just upstream of tidewater last eve. Nobody fishing yet, no rolls...next warm day maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelsonecamera View Post
    Mine is. I hope everyone has a blast during the '21 season. Been hammering it hard twice a day on the lower section of the American. No visuals or bites. Trying shad flies first with a follow through with a shad streamer for that hungry striper. Well keep an update if there is a catch. Should be soon!!
    In looking back over Jeff Ching’s reports last year, it looks like he hooked his first shad of the season April 27th. There were some fish sighted at the the confluence of the Sac and American rivers a week or two sooner. They are coming but looks like we still have a few weeks.

The run is going strong just not on the American. Getting at least 50 an outing just got to be in the right place. The American will be a challenge this year with very low water.

I hear you on the AR flows. I fished last year for my first season and flows were up around 3k i think, we are hovering at 2k atm last I looked and the earlier part of the year i was thinking about how the low flows will effect this years run. i got my first few the last week of april last year then things just lit up for all of may on American.