Thread: WTB Sage rplxi 5pc 7,8,or 9wt

Default WTB Sage rplxi 5pc 7,8,or 9wt

I think I would like to pick one of these up. Sounds like they are a little more moderate action than the 3pc versions and it sounds like the rplxi's are a little less stiff than the xi2 or rplx. Not sure I am correct with this and welcome input.
    Let me know if you have one of these rods you would like to sell or trade for other good stuff I have.

Russell

I'm curious. Why do you want a 5 piece? For travel convenience? Also, there's quite a variation in size from a 7 to a 9wt. Are you planning on using one rod for several species?

Almost all newer rods today are 4 piece. You'd have a lot more choices to pick from.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

From my understanding, the 5pc version was not as stiff of a rod as the other versions. I am very interested in trying this rod and I can use a 7wt in the Puget Sound when I am up there or out on the coast, a nine wt would be nice for striper/ larger flies, and the 8wt would be the cover it all model.
    I do like the fact that the 4pc rods break into two pieces which is handy. I know that there are all sorts of newer rods to choose from, and have tried out a few, but I am interested in one of these right now.

Russell

I remember that series:

A little slower, softer action.

They seemed to have a breakage problem.

They did not sell well either.

Lastly, my feelings is the more ferrules, the more problems and more weight.

I do like 1 piece, 2 piece, 3 piece and 4 piece fly rods.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have a 3pc. 8wt. RPLxi. It doesn't handle even close to older SAGE faster rods, such as the Xi2 or Salt, but can be lots of fun throwing nothing more than a 280-300gn line. When certain conditions are present such as shallower water or over shoals fishing for stripers and I don't need to cast a mile, it is a fun setup. It's one of the several rods I keep on my boat just for that reason, but not my go-to rod. I think of it as a 7wt. The rod has larger and numerous ferrules and I've wondered just how much that slowed down the action of the rod. My RPL+'s 5wts. are a much better casting rod and I thought the RPLxi would have been an improvement over the RPL+, but it wasn't. My two cents.

The rpl+ was one of the sages I bought back in the day and never found a liking for Did not turn out to be an upgrade from my rpl for me. 280-300 gr sounds like an 8wt. My rpl+ 8wt was more of a 9wt. ��
    Definitely different strokes out there with fly rods.
    Last edited by RSK; 04-12-2021 at 01:29 PM.