Thread: Lower Sac Wade Fishing Anderson to Red Bluff

Default Lower Sac Wade Fishing Anderson to Red Bluff

Looks like the flows are ideal for wading right now. I've been scoping for some good riffle water outside of posse grounds. From Google Earth it appears as if there are some nice long riffles between Anderson and Red Bluff. Anyone ever wet waded this area? Is it still productive, or do the fish counts drop rapidly below Anderson? Any other suggestions? PM's welcome. Thanks!

There are plenty of fish below Anderson. I floated Balls to Jellys a week ago. There is a lot of good wade access at Anderson River Park.

the area from Keswick down to H 44 bridge is closed to all fishing 1 April to 1 August

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    Looks like the flows are ideal for wading right now. I've been scoping for some good riffle water outside of posse grounds. From Google Earth it appears as if there are some nice long riffles between Anderson and Red Bluff. Anyone ever wet waded this area? Is it still productive, or do the fish counts drop rapidly below Anderson? Any other suggestions? PM's welcome. Thanks!
    We drifted down to Red Bluff last week. Very productive for both trout and steelhead. I posted this web site a couple of weeks earlier in response to someone looking at doing an overnight trip that identifies public access areas:

https://www.sacramentoriver.org/#access

Paynes Creek and Perry Riffle are usually very good areas where you're unlikely to run into anyone else. The next big water year should produce some new nice accessible water around Anderson River Park where several new channels have been cut.

I hear the lower Sac is very good right now......

April/May is supposed to be the big spring caddis emergence.

I think all the Valley rivers below the first dam should be good right now with hatches and small salmon?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Will you be drifting in a boat? The problem with the Lower Sac is access. Many of the really good runs (and there are a lot of them between Anderson and Red Bluff) do not have walk-in access. The river is prime right now for wade fishing, but that will change come May when the flows go up.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    There are plenty of fish below Anderson. I floated Balls to Jellys a week ago. There is a lot of good wade access at Anderson River Park.
    These posts have got my attention!! Can anyone suggest an overnite float doable in a watermaster raft? Prefer to swing flies so sections with wade-able swing water would be of interest

There’s more winter run salmon in the river this year and the trout are focused on egg patterns. From what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by mmrevolver View Post
    These posts have got my attention!! Can anyone suggest an overnite float doable in a watermaster raft? Prefer to swing flies so sections with wade-able swing water would be of interest
    The flows are at 6,800 CFS out of Keswick today and going up steadily. They will probably reach 7,500 CFS (or higher) by next week. A little high for a Watermaster. The Lower Sac is a big, wide river and you can get into trouble in the high flows if you don't know it. Also, for wade fishing, it is easier to fish and far more productive when the flows are lower.

Wait until late summer and fall when the flows drop to a more manageable level. 4,500 to 6,000 is ideal. 6,500 is doable.

There is some decent swing water all the way from Anderson River Park to the Bend bridge in Red Bluff.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir