Thread: Line identification resource

Default Line identification resource

I know this is probably a long shot but does anyone know of a resource for identifying unmarked fly lines? I have a few that I have absolutely no idea what they are but seem like are in serviceable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I know this is probably a long shot but does anyone know of a resource for identifying unmarked fly lines? I have a few that I have absolutely no idea what they are but seem like are in serviceable condition.
    A couple of thoughts. If you're talking about the type of line, it's pretty easy to weight the first 30 feet with a grain scale and you can eyeball or measure the taper with a micrometer. If you're talking about brand, sink rate of sinking lines, etc. becomes a little tougher, and maybe not needed. Get close and then go cast them. Fly shop staff may also be of help when it comes to color, feel of different brands.

It is possible to weigh the first 30' of line but it won't be accurate because of the drag created by the running portion of the line that is still attached. You don't want to cut the head portion off just to weigh it. Get somewhat close and then go cast it on your favorite rod of a known weight. Does it feel heavy or over-loaded? Or does it feel light and you are forcing yourself to push the line to get the distance you want?

As for sink rates, most running portions of lines are either intermediate or floaters or full portions of both. If they are meant to sink there will be a change in the color. Darker colors sink faster than lighter colors. And, the darker it is, the faster it sinks.

Over-all though the best thing to do is to GO CAST IT on a known rod and mark it with a piece of tape or tag attached.

We've all had to go through this. Especially us older guys who have acquired way too many lines over the years.

Hope this helps a little,
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

50 years ago it was easy......

All we had were Cortland and Scientific Angler fly lines for the most part.

Today there are so many lines it is difficult.

Go to Kiene's when Andy is working and he might be able to help.

You can measure the diameter of the head and get close, then cast it on a few different rod sizes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........