Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a 2.5hp outboard like an electric trolling motor

Default Does anyone use a 2.5hp outboard like an electric trolling motor

Hi,
    I’m debating whether I get a 2.5hp outboard on my Scout Inflatable.

Will the boat go slow enough to cast and retrieve for stripers and largemouth bass at the lowest throttle position?

I have a 30lb thrust minn Kota that goes slow enough but can only fish a few hours before the marine battery dies.

Thanks
    Mark

I would guess that the answer to this depends on the RPM setting of the slowest throttle position, and the amount of water the boat pushes. Is it feasible to get a higher capacity battery instead? Or design your fishing day in a way that allows you to get back to the ramp to swap batteries at mid day?

The Costco battery is pretty heavy and it’s the smaller of the two types.
    I saw the thread on Lithium battery but that’s $500. At that price, it got me thinking about 2.5hp outboard.
    I may need to map out a place closer to where I want to fish.

I usually run at 100% on the trolling motor to get where I want to be fishing then run 25 to 50% output.

Thanks
    Mark

May not work for you, but some guys use two size 24 batteries. One to get you there and do most/all of your fishing, and the other to get you home.

They used to use the same method on the Fall to get to Zug Bug (2 size 27's in 12 ft jon).

Best of luck at finding a perfect solution.
    Dan

You can always try Oars, or even a small paddle, these devices work most places.

I would never have an air cooled outboard--SO SO LOUD! The 2.5 may be water cooled but electric is SO much nicer. You can get a variable speed 55# for not too much and with a Group 27 100 AH I can go for almost 8 hours at full to crawling, average maybe a third of max. Variable speeds get a LOT more hours than fixed speed electrics.

Quote Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Hi,
    I’m debating whether I get a 2.5hp outboard on my Scout Inflatable.

Will the boat go slow enough to cast and retrieve for stripers and largemouth bass at the lowest throttle position?

I have a 30lb thrust minn Kota that goes slow enough but can only fish a few hours before the marine battery dies.

Thanks
    Mark
    I think it could be a good idea, gas tank is builtin so no extra hoses or anything. The weight of a 2.5hp gas motor is less than the weight of a battery and less than the weight of a 55lb thrust Minn Kota.

Battery is around 50-60 lbs
    Minn Kota 55 lb thrust is 45 lbs
    Mercury or Tohatsu 2.5 gas is 41 lbs
    Suzuki 2,5 gas is 31 lbs

Let us know if you get it and how it works.

Regards,
    Tim C.

Hi,
    Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’m still thinking about the motor. Online outboard has a sale $779 for the 2.5hp Suzuki but it’s on back order. Gave them my email if they get more.

Mark

https://scoutinflatables.com/

Maybe look at buy a Minn Kota tiller Enduro 55# 12 volt with 36" shaft $239.95

Maybe go a Lithium battery?

https://dakotalithium.com/ 11 yr warranty/60% lighter/can discharge ~90%

If you run your electric motor on high it will discharge your battery much faster than down one setting.

A Honda 2.3 hp (30#) or Yamaha 2.5 hp (37#) outboard would be good but a little noisier than electric.

What about the little outboard for traveling and the electric for fishing?

Might all be too heavy?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi,
    One problem with a gasoline outboard is the gasoline storage. My tool shed smells like gas because the gas vents in the summer. Another problem is that transporting the gasoline can in my Honda Accord my kids complained about the smell. I tried transferring into one liter plastic bottles and enclosed in ziplock bag that seems to work.

I’m on the water with the kids about 4 hours so may stick to electric motor, but still thinking. The Costco battery is less than a year old

Thanks
    Mark