Thread: Berryessa

Default Berryessa

I got to Berryessa for the first time this year and got some fish working the float and fly. Not a lot fish and nothing real big but nice fish and nice pictures so I am happy with it. The water got a little over 60 in the afternoon. A little warmer would be better for fly fishing but they were biting. Late morning it was looking a little like a skunk as we had no fish and no grabs but we either found them or the warming water got the bite going. We got spotteds, largemouth, smallmouth and a crappie.

Nice report John. We were out there also. Similar results, though things seemed to drop off late in the afternoon for us. No Crappie though. Float n fly is a fun way to get these fish. Love your pictures. The other bonus was the hills around the lake.
    Gregg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berryessa1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	16832

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berryessa2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	502.6 KB 
ID:	16833

Great shots from both John and Gregg!

Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

John

Can you describe the type of shoreline / structure you would fish.

How deep are they?

Report from fly fisher Dave Hudson who knows the lake very well:

"Fished it yesterday. Still slow. Maybe two more weeks for top water action. Water temp need to come up a bit. Water clearest I have ever seen it for this time of year - at least 15 foot visibility"

Dave Hudson - Home of HUDSON'S FLY FACTORY hudsonflyfac@sbcglobal.net
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That was the first time I have done the float and fly for bass so I probably should not be doling out instructions. I caught fish so I will say it is very learnable. Ryan Williams sells a package with flies, leader, indicator and instructions. That would be a good investment if you want to try it. The gear he uses makes a difference. It is a pretty effective method when the bass are on the shoreline and they are now on the shoreline. They seem to be looking for the warmest water they can find right now but I expect the water will warm fast and they will be everywhere soon.
    Last edited by John H; 04-02-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Report from Steve Ohrwall:

"Fished yesterday with Darryl Davis, tough day, nine fish total, one pound to two and a half pounds. 8 am to 4 pm. We went all over the lake except the upper lake. Launched at Markley Cove. Water clarity excellent (25’ plus) water temperature 60 to 63 degrees. Lots of boats but mainly trollers out in the main lake. We fished conventionally but a couple of FFD members fished float and fly and picked up six. I would say it’s slow compared to past years at this time, maybe in a few more weeks it will improve."
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........