Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Fishing Montana

This has been an information filled thread.

Like someone said, we have ~27 years of threads/posts you can search about this subject.

Over my life time in the fly fishing business we had many "groups" who go annually to ID/MT.

Some were families, couples, 2 anglers or even 6 to 12 people.

In our Spring in California they would come by our shop getting ready for their annual trips.

Length of trips were usually 9 days to 2 weeks for most.

Some of our retired customers RVed all over for months with others they had met.

Some even had a summer home or family cabin in ID/MT they went to for generations.

Many bought their big ticket items from us and either tied their own flies or bought many at shops on the way.

I always recommend buying flies near your destinations because those shops have a better handle on things.

Many fish the Spring and Fall in Nor Cal and go to ID/MT in the Summer.

Some drift larger rivers daily, other prefer wading small free stone dry fly fishing and many like lakes or spring creeks.

I was so lucky to be invited on an annual trip with Don Rotsma and Rick Jorgensen.

Part of why I was invited was the fact that I just purchased a new Chevy Suburban. LOL

That one trip has to be one my "top 10" trips of my lifetime.

Rick and Don have both fished around the world on saltwater flats, for steelhead and trout.

That year, 1986, Don had gotten a tip from Mike Lawson that some were starting to fish the Missouri river.

Don was fishing a Scott G series 8'8" #2 in 3 pieces most of the time. They are match the hatch guys from the old days.

I bought a new Sage LL 490-2 with an Orvis CFO III reel and a WF4F Peach 444 Cortland fly line.

I could write an entire article about this one trip with two great "Commando" fly fishers.

I think July, August, and September is the time for a trip to Idaho / Montana.

I can get extremely cutting edge information from school teacher / guide David Armocido who retired and

moved from Colusa, CA to Missoula, MT some years ago.

A trout fishing trip to MT/ID in the summer has to be on your 'Bucket List'.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You guys are great! PMs replied to.

Thanks so much for all of your responses, they are extremely helpful in planning things.

Getting excited to get out and fish water that we've not seen before.

As far as research/old threads here, I think I've read 50 or so. This is partly how I decided which places to fish. Grateful for this forum and the amount of information here.

Wish I could take half the year to fish more of the rivers I'll be close to. Difficult to pick only a few.

Cheers and tight lines.

So I have to report that unfortunately we did not get to take this trip. Shorty after I posted the OP we ran into some financial difficulties so off the table it went.

However, we are looking at this again but trying to book places at the last minute didn't work so well for the CDA area, but things look great in Montana.

My plan is to drive from Sonoma County to Boise one day. From Boise straight to Missoula for a night, grab supplies then head to Rock Creek. Thanks yubaman for the Trout Bums referral, we lucked out and one of their places was open for the days we wanted. From there we are headed to Sula MT to stay/fish what I believe is the East Fork of the Bitterroot East of Sula on Hwy. 472. From Sula we'll head back to Boise for up to two days.

Couple of things:
    Anything I should know about going this time of year?
    Should I think about bringing chains? Weather looks good/clear.
    If anyone has specific places on Rock Creek or the area in and around Sula/Darby/Hamilton to fish or are must dos/sight see places please feel free to let me know. We may have a couple hours to kill in Missoula too.
    For the time in Boise if we stay two nights I'd like to get some fishing in. Suggestion on a fly shop in town? Looks like there's several.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions. I GREATLY appreciate it.

I will post some pics after I recoup from this.

Here's a view I miss. Really wish they'd fix the road.

It looks like a warm fall so far in SWMT/East Idaho. I have only put on waders for a couple dusk excursions. I’ll be back out 10/1-6 and if the forecast holds it looks like more wet wading during daylight hours at least. Based on the forecast I wouldn’t dream of carrying chains but won’t be as far north as you.

Sonoma to Boise very doable in one day. We drive Sacramento to Driggs in a day, 11 hours doing 8-10 over the limit the whole way. Boise is 250 miles closer. We could get there by 3:30pm leaving at our normal 6am hour from Sac.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 09-24-2021 at 08:43 PM.

PV,

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on the chains and the drive time.

I'm learning there's a lot of construction North of Boise starting around Smiths Ferry/Cascade and further North. I think I'm going to head towards Stanley from Boise to get to MT. If any thoughts on this please let me know. Thanks

https://itdprojects.org/

I’m not sure about US95. There’s still construction between Wells NV and Twin Falls ID on US93, causing delays on that route. I’ve not been on US93 north of Twin this summer so cannot give any insight about that.

There is also quite a bit of construction activity on I-80 in Nevada. The most impactful is around the Beowawe/Welcome area especially when traveling westbound.

Both routes are a long drive so just pack your patience. I would reiterate what I said before that if you can get yourself to Hailey on the first day you will already then be in the vicinity of good fishing, but the Boise area also has good options.

Timbers,

I have not checked the flows on Rock Creek, but I would bet that it is very low right now. The lower you fish on the river, the more water you will see, as several streams and creeks feed into Rock Creek. Up a ways, I like to fish the Microburst area, as there is a lot of good wading up there. Down lower, you will see all of the pull-outs along the creek where you access the river at many good spots.

The Rock Creek Mercantile Fly Shop will be a source of information for you. It is about a mile up Rock Creek Road from the Interstate. You can't miss it.

I have not fished the East Fork of the Bitterroot, but from something I just read, they were calling the Main Stem of the Bitterroot, Bitterroot Creek this year because of the flows. The West Fork of the Bitterroot has some really good wade fishing. The water for the WF is pulled from the bottom of Painted Rocks Reservoir, so it should have colder water coming down.

Good luck and have fun.

yubaman,

Hey thanks for your reply and the information I really appreciate it.

Everything I'm seeing as far as reports Rock Creek sounds like it's in good shape. Either way we're going so it is what it is.

Where we are staying by the Bitterroot, the EF is couple hundred feet from the house.

Thanks again.

Idaho Angler is the best shop in Boise, you can fish in town but it's not super inspiring. They can give advice on things nearby.

aaron, thanks for the tip on the Fly Shop. I appreciate it.