Thread: Advice on Fishing Montana

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Advice on Fishing Montana

Hoping some of you can steer me in the right direction with somethings. Please feel free to add ideas for us.

My wife and I are planning a two week bucket list trip (for us anyway) to Montana. Ideally head to Twin Falls ID and stay overnight or two nights. Then head into Montana and stay 7-9 days, head to CDA ID 2-3 days, lastly maybe Bend OR. then home. Having a tough time booking a VRBO near Missoula (late to plan I'm finding out), finding some places near/around Hamilton. Someone know of a secret house rental on the river??

Current places of interest are West Fork Bitterroot and Rock Creek. May try to get to Little Blackfoot and some areas near Kalispell, don't know for sure, trying to find a home base and decide what else is within driving distance. There seems to be so many great choices to fish. Trying to keep it to 2-3.

Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction if I'm wrong. I'm hoping my river choices are similar in size and type like the McCloud and Pit River? Wanting to wade fish.

Would sometime in July be a good time to go, trying to avoid bad weather and big runoff/not being able to fish these areas?

From Hamilton, is the Skalkaho Hwy. 38 open in July to get over to Rock Creek Road? Is that the best route to take?

Might decide to camp a day or two. Has anyone camped at any of the places on Rock Creek Road? Are they packed this time of year?

Thanks all for any suggestions I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Timbers; 03-31-2021 at 05:32 PM.