Thread: Yuba/Upper Sac report

Default Yuba/Upper Sac report

adding to Troutsource report:

Yuba: great/lowish flows. a few skwala adults in the evening. sporadic march browns. nice pinky hatch in the evening in flat water. most fish taken on caddis pupa/emerger patterns with a few on march brown nymphs and pinky dries.

Upper Sac: great flows. water temps in upper 40's around Dunsmuir. not a ton of action but almost all fish were chubbies in the 18" range with a few pushing 19-20." mostly high sticking with dark lords, pheasant tails, rubber legs.

some of my photos may look suspect in terms of fish handling, but i promise they were treated with the respect they deserve....

alot of snow around shasta and lassen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8480.JPEG 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	16809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8488.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	639.6 KB 
ID:	16810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8505.JPEG 
Views:	293 
Size:	898.0 KB 
ID:	16811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8562.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	780.3 KB 
ID:	16812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8660.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	16813  

Fish in picture #3 has a huge tail.

Thanks for the excellent report.

June is usually the top month on the Upper Sac but this year it might be May?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice report! Will add on Sunday on the Yuba found the trout looking up through much of the day, with a little mid afternoon lull for us. We saw only a smattering of March Browns...but a March Brown Sparkle Dun I tied is what did damage for us all day.

How do you like your Shadow X Pupa? I can’t get over how awesome mine is. Same length and weight as yours. Only fished it briefly Sunday due to the quality dry action. Did manage a monster on it...which quickly found a weak spot in my tippet lol.

Tight lines

Thanks Bill. Yes, that rainbow had a big tail, partially magnified by the water lens.

TYV, the shadow is an amazing rod. I have broken my tip and the cork is starting to split, but otherwise solid. i hooked a fish pushing 20" in fast current on the upper sac. The lower fly hooked his tail and he caught the current hard, bent in half like a water sail. My rod was flexed like a candy cane as i charged down the river, but it held its own without the dreaded snap. Casts nicely for dries, but lacks a bit of backbone. Also use for slinging bobbers on occasion.

Shadow X is the bomb. I have the 11' version since I'm always leaning forward for more reach. The longer rods allegedly are less accurate at casting, but I can't tell. Try going from a same length/weight switch rod back to the Shadow X. They're light as feathers. I love casting dries on mine. And with the ultra sensitive tip acting as a shock absorber, I've been able to euro nymph with 6X tippet and rarely lose a fish. With the extra length it's a good idea to have a longer net so you don't bend the rod as much while netting the fish (per ECHO they can break more easily due to the sensitivity).
    Last edited by Troutsource; 03-30-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river