Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hooks straightening out

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The flip side of going "under gunned" is that fish get played far too long and many die. I watched a very well known still water angler/author play a fish on Lake Almanor for over 15 minutes. His rod was bent like a willow stick the entire time. It was painful to watch. There is no doubt that trout swam away to die. I prefer to use the strongest hooks and leader possible and try to land fish quickly and release them while they are still hot. Just my .02
    Just to add one more item.

Fighting the fish with rod angles. Changing your rod tip position is important to land fish quicker. I learn from two masters - Jay fair and Denton Hill!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoman View Post
    Odd the guide would blame the Firehole hooks by name because I generally find Firehole hooks I tie with are much better than the thin-wire hooks on the Umqua flies I bought at TFS. I don't think we had any of the Firehole hooks straighten out. I think I also have some Masu and/or Daichi jig hooks on heavier wire. It's getting so I hate to buy flies but I don't always have enough of the right pattern in my box
    I love Firehole hooks myself, but he said that he'd seen them straighten size 18 and smaller.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    I third it - you need to fine that perfect harmonious between, rod, fly line, tippet and hook.
    Exactly Lance. I have a buddy who guides spring creeks with very fussy eaters. While others believe it takes 6.5-7x to trick those fish, he proves them wrong all day long, every day with 4.5 and 5x. His clients walk away better anglers by learning how to get a great drift with technique rather than relying on spider web fine tippet. A trout cannot see the difference in two one-thousandths of an inch in tippet diameter. It is all about controlling drag and then being able to bring the fish in quickly and released fresh (and intelligent rod angle is imperative, both in the fight and on the strike).

In addition to what was said ahead here I’d like to add that sometimes a stouter hook can work against things. Tougher to set through bone and cartilage because it is thicker and a dull stout hook feels really dull. If the hook is not set to the bend there can be a ton of leverage way out near the point making bending easier. Ymmv but with trout I seem do do better with standard wire as opposed to heavy wire. The exception being bends due to underwater sticks and above water trees.
    Last edited by John Sv; 03-31-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Another 'point'....

I have been fishing barbless for about the past 40 years.

I think it is easier to get the hook penetrated without a barb.

Especially, years ago with the giant barbs on the old Eagle Claw and Mustad hooks.

I do like some of the hooks now with smaller "wisker" barbs.

*Kaufmann's Streamborn Fly Shops had Umpqua Feather Merchants tie all their flies on babless TMC hooks some years ago.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........