Thread: Help Exploring East of Nevada City

Default Help Exploring East of Nevada City

Hi,

I know there is fishing to be found in some creeks and rivers east of Nevada City and while I am not after anyone's secret access I would like to explore that area a little on my way to Reno next month (niece's wedding) without traipsing all over the backroads and scaring any locals.

For instance: My last trip that way I tried to find access to Bear River, driving way down Z.. road but it was pretty clear that was all private, yet I have read there is fishing there...somewhere! Is the better access to the north of Hwy. 20?

I love fishing the North Fork Yuba up near (and above) Downieville but I have never fished The South Yuba River and wonder if there is public access off I-80 above the Big Bend area. Off Hampshire Rocks Road?

North Fork Deer Creek? Any access off 20?

I know there is that river everyone loves/hates on the way to Reno and I have fished there a few times (Humbling but enjoyable...though I have not fished the Nevada side) but I prefer smaller creeks and fewer people so I am often perusing maps and looking for small blue lines.

I realize it will probably be too early to fish these areas by mid April but I do have some time to explore and will be going back to Grass Valley later in the year and would love to fish some new (to me) places within and hour or so and already know some access points.

As always, Thank You for any input.

I have spent some in that neck of the woods and one thing I have experienced is that there are a number of places that are public roads that have signs put up by locals to deter you (private, no parking, etc.). That said, not sure how smart it is to press your luck with people that go to that much trouble and also likely have firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I have spent some in that neck of the woods and one thing I have experienced is that there are a number of places that are public roads that have signs put up by locals to deter you (private, no parking, etc.). That said, not sure how smart it is to press your luck with people that go to that much trouble and also likely have firearms.
    Exactly why I am asking here...

Looking for both legal and safe access.

I did notice that "Z" Road, off 20, cuts through a patch of land shown to be "public" (Maybe BLM or US Forest?) but I do not remember that being posted. Maybe I did not go down far enough?

The meadow off the road you are referring to, immediately south of 20, is owned by PGE and allows recreational access. There’s even a parking area or at least used to be. I haven’t fished that creek in a few years. I would generally always find at least one rattlesnake each trip when I did so be aware of that if you go. They’ll be up and about now.

Many of the creeks feeding into the NFYR have good fishing. The fish are generally small, except when they aren’t.

Of course there are many well regarded and extensively disclosed small streams in the Sierraville/Truckee area too.

I haven’t looked at what the new trout regs did to all these. But many of them would not have been open til late April or later under past regs.

The LT will fish great in spring but you won’t be alone.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 03-28-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Get the ONX app. I use it for hunting It will tell you if it’s public or private

Ah, yes....the smaller creeks running into the NFYR are some of my all time favorites!
    That area I have explored many times...never going to be enough time though. Though access to Pauley and the Upper Downie elude me there are streams there that are absolute treasures to me.

The LT is another favorite, but not the section that gets the crowds. (Sometimes I believe I "fish" to simply be away and not to catch "numbers" or "size")

Thanks for your input. Makes me think I may need to add a day to my trip and swing north, but still pretty early for that territory as well.

The area between Quincy and Nevada City is a very interesting place. The MF Feather and even more-so, the MF Yuba.

Seems like all the Middle Forks of CA rivers from Feather to Stan offer the most remote experiences.