Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower Sac Overnight Float

Great thanks NCL. Am thinking Posse grounds boat ramp to Balls Ferry, launching Friday afternoon and taking out Sunday afternoon. If the flows are higher maybe further to Jellys Ferry. Saw that was a primitive launch though, and would prefer a paved ramp after busting up my trailer on the lower Yuba river. I did see some good islands to camp on Friday and Sat night, figured that was a safe bet as far as weirdos go but am wondering if they are private property or not now. Also hoping they wont be covered by water in higher flows. The first one for Friday night is a very large island a bit below Bonnyview, not too far from the put in.

Thanks all for helping me plan this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Great thanks NCL. Am thinking posse boat ramp to balls ferry, launching friday afternoon and taking out sunday afternoon. If the flows are higher maybe further to jellys ferry. Saw that was a primitive launch though, and would prefer a paved ramp after busting up my trailer on the lower yuba. I did see some good islands to camp on friday and sat night, figured that was a safe bet as far as wierdos go but am wondering if they are private property or not now. Also hoping they wont be covered by water in higher flows. The first one for friday night is a very large island a bit below bonnyview, not too far from the put in. Thanks all for helping me plan this!
    I think the maps on this site will help you identify ownership: https://www.sacramentoriver.org

In your planning you need to remember that the river is closed to all fishing from Posse Grounds to Cypress Street Bridge from April 1 to August 1. You might want to check with The Fly Shop for the most up to date info. I am fishing up there April 5 and we needed to adjust our fishing trip...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyt View Post
    In your planning you need to remember that the river is closed to all fishing from Posse Grounds to Cypress Street Bridge from April 1 to August 1. You might want to check with The Fly Shop for the most up to date info. I am fishing up there April 5 and we needed to adjust our fishing trip...
    The closure is actually from Keswick Dam downstream to the Hwy 44 West overcrossing which is the bridge below Sundial.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

That is a good point about the closure and you might want to check with DFG if you can even float from Posse. I remember I did a shuttle a few years ago for a veteran group fishing tournament and I think they had to get permission to launch at Posse. The float from Posse to the island you mentioned will take awhile as the float from Posse to Bonnyview ramp is at least a half day.

The ramp at Jelly's is used constantly by guides so I would say even though it is not paved you should not have a problem. With that said there is construction of the bridge going so not sure about overnight parking.

Fishtopher..thanks for clarifying my post on the river closure...i am an out of towner and need to be checked...Tom

Thank you all for all the help in planning my float, we had a great time. Floated from bonnyview to jellys ferry with a couple buddies from high school, camped out on islands friday and saturday nights. Wind was really tough saturday afternoon and waves were pretty concerning in the drift boat but other than that an easy float. Definitely the biggest water by far ive ever rowed, need to learn more about rowing for fishing as i always just get out and swing runs floating by myself. My buddies did manage to hook some rainbows their first time fly fishing which was great.Lots of caddis, pmds and golden stones, saw quite a few salmon flies, also some spring chinook rolling in the faster water. So grateful for the help Ive received on this forum over the last few years