Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac Overnight Float

Default Lower Sac Overnight Float

Would like to do an overnight on the lower Sac in my drift boat with a few buddies end of April, depending on flows. Am thinking launch Friday around noon or so, take out Sunday afternoon so two nights camping. Any suggestions for put in and take out in that time frame with plenty of time to stop and fish?

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Would like to do an overnight on the lower sac in my drift boat with a few buddies end of april, depending on flows. Am thinking launch friday around noon or so, take out sunday afternoon so two nights camping. Any suggestions for put in and take out in that time frame with plenty of time to stop and fish? Thanks for any help
    Balls Ferry to Sycamore Park in Red Bluff. Vehicles should be somewhat more secure at Sycamore, plus lots of BLM land in between. Or keep going down to Los Molinos.

I think I'd decide where I want to take out at. Jelly's Ferry or Balls Ferry unless you want to take really long ride. As for camping there are two large islands downstream from the Anderson launch ramp several miles. They are only accessed by boat but safer than camping along the shore.

Most of the water is fairly deep with no major rapids to deal with in that area.

Plan your take-out spot first, and have fun.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I was going to do something like that awhile back and it never got past the planning stage. I'd like to hear how it goes.

When planning, I discovered that The Fly Shop in Redding can arrange a shuttle for you and they will keep your vehicle in a secure location while you float. To me that's worth every penny of the shuttle price.

What do you want to fish for? Shad and Stripers will be in the river around then. Could easily do a Red Bluff to Chico run in that time frame. Would likely find trout in Red Bluff and start picking up Shad and Stripers as you move downstream. A motor is advantageous but not completely necessary. Lots of gravel bars to camp out on.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Is there any overnight camping on the River from Keswick to Anderson?

Thank you all for the responses! Was planning on targeting trout and nymphing from the boat, but also bringing my 5 wt spey for swinging runs, the few times I've fished the lower Sac on the way back from other rivers always looked like a good river to swing a fly in, at least where you can wade. Is the trout fishing good all the way down to Red Bluff? I do have a 6 hp Mercury motor that came with my drift boat when I bought it last year with only a few engine hours on it, but havent used it yet. Will be taking it out to a lake soon to figure it out before I attempt it in a river. I’ll make sure to post a trip report after we go.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    I was going to do something like that awhile back and it never got past the planning stage. I'd like to hear how it goes.

When planning, I discovered that The Fly Shop in Redding can arrange a shuttle for you and they will keep your vehicle in a secure location while you float. To me that's worth every penny of the shuttle price.
    Thank you, will definitely get in touch with The Fly Shop.

About 20 years ago Jeff Putnam and 3 friends in two drift boats did a float-n-camp on the lower Feather river in the Spring.

I believe all 4 were top fly fishers and they said the fishing was not very good.

They attributed it to the millions of small new born fish in the river giving the gamefish plenty to eat.

I think they were hoping for Stripers and Smallmouth bass.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You can get trout down to at least to Los Molinos, so any float from Redding down you will be in good nymphing water. You mentioned late April and at that time if I remember correctly the flows will be back up to the 10 to 12K CFS. Camping will be more problematic below Payne's Creek as almost all the land is private, as was mentioned there is BLM property above Bend Bridge but there is also private property in the same area, there used to be restrooms at Massacre Flats, have not been up there in a few years so not sure if they are still there or not. With the increased flows there is less swing water but traveling by boat you should still find plenty. I live in the Bend near Red Bluff so familiar with the area around Bend Bridge. I have done every float from Posse Grounds to almost Los Molinos which is about 7 different floats depending on how you break them up. Be careful going through China Rapids and Iron Canyon.
    On a side note on a float between Bend Bridge and Red Bluff we hooked 6 different species of fish.