Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelhead season

Caught and released on Wednesday. Can't catch them from your computer, you have to go chase them, even if that means failing. Yeah, it's been a slow season, but...............

A buddy caught and released this one on THUR. They are still there if you're willing to take a chance and know where.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 03-27-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s. View Post
    You can't get'em back if you don't release'em.
    So much for your govt and their contracted mitigation programs where they have ruined our rivers with their damns and pollution.
    ....lee s.
    Wine . Sip swirl sip. 50,000 fish once returned to the Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    Caught and released on Wednesday. Can't catch them from your computer, you have to go chase them, even if that means failing. Yeah, it's been a slow season, but...............

A buddy caught and released this one on THUR. They are still there if you're willing to take a chance and know where.
    Excellent work, WLREDBAND!

I had a great time this season, though the numbers of fish I hooked and landed were pathetic. After 40 years of Winter Steelhead fishing, you learn to take the good seasons with the poor seasons and just enjoy each day on the river. Certainly hoping next year will be better as far as fish numbers, as we all are. The other side of the poor-return coin is that I definitely noticed much less boat traffic this year than in most seasons, which is fine with me. Many days this season I encountered less than 5 other boaters.

This season was by far my worst season for numbers of fish since the 1991-1993 time frame, at the end of the drought that spanned 1986-1992.

I was able to launch my drift boat for 22 full river days, which includes my Fall Chinook outings and my Winter Steelhead trips. My goal each season (Mid-to-late October through March) is 20-25 river days, so I was in that range this season. I fish full days, first light until the last hour of daylight, still fishing until dark occasionally, though not very often anymore.

I was able to fish 6 different Northern California and Southern Oregon rivers this season and was solo every day except one, when a Port Orford friend joined me for a day in my DB. I took 3 trips to Oregon and 2 trips to the SF Eel.

My best day for the season was a 5 fish day of chrome, up-run fish on the SF Eel, all 7-10 pounds, earlier in March, which turned out to be my last day of the season. I would rather not tally up how many skunks I had this season, days where I never even touched a fish for a full day of fishing, but I am sure it was at least half of my river days.

I had hoped for one more March trip, but too much work got in the way this past week, so decided to do the adult thing and get my work done rather than head North.

I have never fished for Spring Chinook on the lower Rogue, so I am thinking I might head to Agness for a trip in late April or early May.

Shad season is around the corner and I will take my grandgirls out for a couple Shad outings when the time is right, then get serious about work until the first good rains on the Oregon Coast in the Fall.

The Klamath early season was pretty decent for my clients in 2020, we just had to wait for the river temps to come down. For those wondering or interested I offer an all inclusive on the Lower Klamath within 30 miles of the ocean, just around the corner from Blue Creek. The trinity was pretty darn good pre-season, which I consider pre Oct or when the crowds show up. Great success swinging August to mid Oct before the flow drop. After that it was hit or miss, working hard for a handful of fish a day on bobbers and a few grabs a day swinging. Once we started seeing some rain showers Jan through March, the Trinity started to fish pretty good, March was spectacular. Most call it quits after March, but it's never over till it's over.

Still having some good days chasing steelhead on our Nor Cal waters, and I'm not talking about the American. Its never over until the last lady sings. You can actually chase them year round if you know where to look and where to go. While this time of year you can do good nymphing, I think it's the best time of year to swing for them. They love meat, they love meat swung and the springers hit your fly like a freight train on crack. Nothing better than a springer absolutely slamming your swung fly.

Time to get out and explore the other side of steelheading.
    Tight lines
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer