Thread: 2021 Olympic Peninsula report

Unhappy 2021 Olympic Peninsula report

Four of us just got back from our annual run to the Olympic Peninsula. What a changed picture up there this year with the new regulations and restrictions of any fishing from a boat. Our favorite river, The Queets, is flat out closed to all fishing except for the tribes being allowed to net 2 days per week. All fishing to be done was wade only. The Steelhead run has been so greatly reduced, this is what had been enacted, and everyone up there feels as though this will be a 4-5 year deal, if the run ever repopulates.

The Hoh and Bogachiel do have some outstanding swing water. We fished the Bogy, Calawah, Hoh and South Fork Hoh. The rivers were in perfect shape during the 5 days that we fished. The runs have been low in terms of numbers. The regulations this year are what got us to get introduced to Swinging. We were all bobber dogs up until this trip. There were many a moment of comedy with this. I am ambidextrous, and it took me about a day to figure out that I was a much better Swing caster left handed than right . Thank God I figured it out before the trip was over.

Anyhow, weather for the trip was overall good, although the first day we were dumped on with rain and about 5 different hailstorms. Our expectations for fishing results on this trip were very low given the restrictions. Damned if I didn't land 2 decent Steelhead on the SF Hoh in my first 10 minutes of fishing!!! We weren't 100 yards from the put-in. I thought, "Hell, this is going to work out just fine!". I had a couple of quick shake-offs over the next 2 days and did not land another Steelhead until day 4. Thankfully a couple of half pounders and some Whiteys at least kept our head in the game. One of my buds landed a decent fish on his first half day of Swinging. Personally, mine were all landed when I was wade fishing with indicators.

Between the 4 of us, I think we landed a total of 6 fish. In past years, that would be a good day for 1 person. Fishing in the rain forest of the Hoh is really magical. The beauty there is just spectacular. What happens with the numbers of Steelhead and Salmon on the runs up there will be interesting to see over the next 3-4 years.

It was nice to be able to eat inside a restaurant once again up there, and the OP is always a great trip. I do hope things turn around up there.

Pictured below is a nice 12lb. -13 lb. Steelhead from Day 1, and a picture of 3 of us in the Hoh rainforest trying to stay somewhat dry.

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 SF Hoh River.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	773.6 KB 
ID:	16733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 Hoh River SF 2.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	963.6 KB 
ID:	16734

Thanks YubaMan for the "5 Start Post" with great pictures too.

Very inspiring.........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great report! The O.P. is on my list. Someday.....

I recently fished there also. I knew with the no boat fishing the catching on the fly rod would be way down but I wanted to give it a try anyway. Indicator wade fishing is difficult on those rivers. You just can’t cover the water needed to find the fish. You can fish an indicator pretty effectively on a spinning rod but I am not really into that. The crowd is about 25% of what it usually is so if swinging is your game the regulation change is not so bad. I expect there will not be a return to boat fishing there. Whatever the regulations are though, I do hope they are able to maintain a healthy population of steelhead. If we can’t do it there I am not sure where we can.
    Last edited by John H; 03-05-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Wonderful report and pictures...thank you for sharing! Best, Bob