Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CDFW Freshwater Fishing Regulations 2021-22?

“”There were a lot of new regulations proposals floating around the last few years, but I'm not sure what actually was approved.

I did read on Ken's Sporting Goods website the new adopted changes effective March 1, 2021 for Inyo/Mono counties. The East Walker is now back to the old regs- opens last Saturday in April to November 15. So I would assume that these regulations are printed somewhere, but I can't find them on CDFW's website.”

The new regs for the East Walker also do NOT mention barbless hooks any longer WTF ???
    Rich

Default Opps, I think I got it wrong about general trout season

So It looks like the end-of-May to Sept season is only on waters in the special Regs section.

general state wide trout season (for take) is still end-of-April thru Nov 15.
    and now all waters not listed in special regs are open year round.

here is a cut/paste of the relevant section:

Have I got it right?

(a) General Statewide Regulations: (1) All inland lakes and reservoirs; and ponds entirely on private lands, except those listed in Section 7.50 (b), are open to fishing all year with a five-trout daily bag limit, and 10 trout possession limit.(2) All inland streams, rivers, and canals, except those listed in Section 7.50 (b), are open to fishing from the last Sat. in Apr. through Nov. 15, with a five trout daily bag limit, and ten trout possession limit, with no gear restrictions. From Nov. 16 through the Fri. preceding the last Sat. in Apr., a zero trout bag limit applies, and only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. In waters where the bag limit for trout is zero, trout must be released unharmed, and should not be removed from the water. (3) Exceptions: (A) All waters in Section 7.50 (b), Alphabetical List of Trout Waters with Special Fishing Regulations,are those having regulations different from the General Statewide Regulations for trout.(B) Brook Trout bag and possession limits may be taken in addition to the statewide trout daily bag and possession limits. See Section 5.84.
    Last edited by StevenB; 03-02-2021 at 11:20 AM. Reason: get rid of emojs in cut/paste text, board software interpeted stuff oddly

Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
    So It looks like the end-of-May to Sept season is only on waters in the special Regs section.

general state wide trout season (for take) is still end-of-April thru Nov 15.
    and now all waters not listed in special regs are open year round.

here is a cut/paste of the relevant section:

Have I got it right?

(a) General Statewide Regulations: (1) All inland lakes and reservoirs; and ponds entirely on private lands, except those listed in Section 7.50 (b), are open to fishing all year with a five-trout daily bag limit, and 10 trout possession limit.(2) All inland streams, rivers, and canals, except those listed in Section 7.50 (b), are open to fishing from the last Sat. in Apr. through Nov. 15, with a five trout daily bag limit, and ten trout possession limit, with no gear restrictions. From Nov. 16 through the Fri. preceding the last Sat. in Apr., a zero trout bag limit applies, and only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. In waters where the bag limit for trout is zero, trout must be released unharmed, and should not be removed from the water. (3) Exceptions: (A) All waters in Section 7.50 (b), Alphabetical List of Trout Waters with Special Fishing Regulations,are those having regulations different from the General Statewide Regulations for trout.(B) Brook Trout bag and possession limits may be taken in addition to the statewide trout daily bag and possession limits. See Section 5.84.
    I think you have it right from my interpretation, I believe the Nov-April season is catch and release and barbless only. I think I noticed some special reg waters with a Memorial Day to Feb season.

Question: Does (B) Brook Trout bag and possession limits may be taken in addition to the statewide trout daily bag and possession limits. See Section 5.84. mean that you can keep 5 trout plus 10 brook trout?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal_Flyfisherman View Post

Question: Does (B) Brook Trout bag and possession limits may be taken in addition to the statewide trout daily bag and possession limits. See Section 5.84. mean that you can keep 5 trout plus 10 brook trout?
    Yes, this is the correct interpretation as far as I can tell.

I have never liked the way the regs were written in CA, but this is a new low in terms of their clarity and readability.

As I was reading this last night I felt it was almost easier to just do what I thought was right and risk a ticket than trying to actually understand some of these regs. They are really messy.

About all that can be done about it is to go on record in the public comment of the next FGC meeting in mid-April with displeasure and suggestions for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Yes, this is the correct interpretation as far as I can tell.

I have never liked the way the regs were written in CA, but this is a new low in terms of their clarity and readability.

As I was reading this last night I felt it was almost easier to just do what I thought was right and risk a ticket than trying to actually understand some of these regs. They are really messy.

About all that can be done about it is to go on record in the public comment of the next FGC meeting in mid-April with displeasure and suggestions for improvement.
    I like that more water is open year round, I am very happy about that. I can't believe how complicated they made fishing regulations though. Are they competing with the tax code?

Can someone clarify the McCloud river regulations below McCloud reservoir for me:

This is how it currently reads in the new regulations:

(G) McCloud River from McCloud Dam downstream to confluence of Ladybug Creek.

Sat. preceding Memorial Day through Sep. 30. Only artificial lures may be used.

Oct. 1 through the Fri. preceding Memorial Day. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

Does this mean that the river is technically open for fishing right now or will it open on the Saturday preceding Memorial Day and these regulations will take effect at this point going forward?

Has anyone heard how The Nature Conservancy will manage angler access on that section of water?

Thank you.

Yes, my interpretation is that the McCloud river below McCloud reservoir is now "Open" with 0 trout taken. The regulations state effective March 1, 2021.

This is the main reason I was looking for the new adopted regulations online before March 1, because some locations (East Walker for one) are now closed effective March 1,2021 and others like the McCloud and others are now open effective that date.

CDFW did finally post these new regulations on their website on Monday afternoon March 1, 2021. Seems like the 11th hour posting for this many changes to the regulations....Oh well, I'll stop my rant now and go fish some of these new "" waters.

New and improved supervised decay.

Default McCloud

Ya, GLC got it right, McCloud is now open to fishing (as of March 1) and will be open year round with a 2 fish take allowed above
    Ladybug creek during the summer season (Sat Preceding Memorial day to Sept 30) and 0 limit in the winter season
    Oct. 1 through the Fri. preceding Memorial Day.

Below Ladybug Creek downstream to Shasta Lake is year-round artificial barbless 0 limit.

What I find interesting is that in the interest of simplification (HA-HA) there is now two different Artificial designations.

During the summer "take" season the Regs say "Only artificial lures may be used"

In the winter no take season above ladybug and year round below ladybug it says
    "Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used."

so sometimes you can have barbs and sometimes you can not.
    I always fish barbless so it will not impact me, but does seem like confusion is possible.

Last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) the Nature Conservancy has not yet made any decisions on how they will handle access with the new Regs.

Thank you GLC and Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
    Ya, GLC got it right, McCloud is now open to fishing (as of March 1) and will be open year round with a 2 fish take allowed above
    Ladybug creek during the summer season (Sat Preceding Memorial day to Sept 30) and 0 limit in the winter season
    Oct. 1 through the Fri. preceding Memorial Day.

Below Ladybug Creek downstream to Shasta Lake is year-round artificial barbless 0 limit.

What I find interesting is that in the interest of simplification (HA-HA) there is now two different Artificial designations.

During the summer "take" season the Regs say "Only artificial lures may be used"

In the winter no take season above ladybug and year round below ladybug it says
    "Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used."

so sometimes you can have barbs and sometimes you can not.
    I always fish barbless so it will not impact me, but does seem like confusion is possible.

Last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) the Nature Conservancy has not yet made any decisions on how they will handle access with the new Regs.