Thread: Berryessa report

Default Berryessa report

Quick report - lots of fish caught - easily double digit.

Patterns used were olive cone head leach and olive leech w lead wraps, and black balanced leech.

Intermediate line and conehead olive leach produced the most.

Then late morning it slowed down so just messing around I decided to throw on a Popcorn Beetle behind the conehead and it caught the largest fish of the day and they just hammered it hard!! Those fish jumped 3 feet out of the water and one took all the line out so I had to fight on the reel and it just kept the drag going as well. It made a jump and spit the fly.

Last fish of the day was a really nice slab of a crappie, measured 16 and 1/4 inches.

Fished from 7 to 1:30

I gotta get up there. The bass should be ready to bite soon. I went there recently with a gear fishing buddy of mine and we trolled and caught zero. I guess we should have cast some flies. Thanks for reporting.
    Last edited by John H; 02-28-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
    Quick report - lots of fish caught - easily double digit.

Patterns used were olive cone head leach and olive leech w lead wraps, and black balanced leech.

Intermediate line and conehead olive leach produced the most.

Then late morning it slowed down so just messing around I decided to throw on a Popcorn Beetle behind the conehead and it caught the largest fish of the day and they just hammered it hard!! Those fish jumped 3 feet out of the water and one took all the line out so I had to fight on the reel and it just kept the drag going as well. It made a jump and spit the fly.

Last fish of the day was a really nice slab of a crappie, measured 16 and 1/4 inches.

Fished from 7 to 1:30
    I guess you where catching Smallmouth? or Rainbows?

Wonderful report.....this is my friend Dave Hudson's favorite bass lake........Berryessa.
    Bill Kiene

Fly fishing travel consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor
    Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

All rainbows Bill. Was in hopes of bass though