Thread: Local veteran fly fisher, Chuck Campana, passes at 90.

Default Local veteran fly fisher, Chuck Campana, passes at 90.

Chuck was a fine example of why they were called "the Greatest Generation".

He was on the best American Outdoorsmen is knew well. He was a great hunter and a top fly fisher.

Chuck was a founding member of the California Fly Fishers Unlimited, one of the old fly clubs in CA.

After he retired from the CA Dept of Boats & Waterways he worked weekends at our fly shop.

Chuck was a member of the "Geezer Patrol" who all helped me keep my fly shop going for 30 years.

Attachment 14902

One day when Chuck was working baseball legend Ted Williams came into our fly shop.

Ted was a famous fly fisherman too designing the "Ted Williams Autograph" series of fishing tackle for Sears.

Chuck was thrilled because Ted was one of his heros growing up 1940s. Ted was also a fighter pilot in World War II.

Ted and Chuck took some new fly rods outside the shop and cast them. It was a great experience for Chuck.

Chuck was also interviewed in the great Steelhead/Salmon movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast".....

Chuck had a wonderful life and will be missed by many of us......

Obituary:

https://www.echovita.com/us/obituari...mpana-12366394
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Very sad news Bill, sorry for your loss. Another one of our local legends, Chuck will be missed. Had many great conversation with Chuck under the Watt avenue bridge while casting Spey rods. One great conversation we had was about 3 piece rods vs. 4 piece and how he felt the 3 piecers had more of a true flex pattern throughout the whole blank over a 4 piece. Good times, rest in piece Chuck!

Sad news indeed. Chuck was one of my favorites.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Wow Bill, very sad news.

Comforting though that Chuck lived a long full life, had lots of adventures, and experienced fishing in CA that younger generations can only dream about.

I am very lucky that I got to know and spend time with Chuck, and a few of the other great Sacramento-based fly fishers from Chuck's generation, while working in your shop back in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I am planning to hit the coast for steelhead next weekend and I will be thinking of Chuck and sending a few big hopeful swings out for him. Matt
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

There will be a service for Chuck at the East Lawn Cemetery, this Friday, March 5, 2021.

Viewing @ 1:00pm

Burial @ 2:00pm

East Lawn Memorial Park & East Sacramento Mortuary

4300 Folsom Blvd
    Sacramento, CA 95819

See if any of you who knew Chuck could let some of his friends know about this.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Very sad news Bill, sorry for your loss. Another one of our local legends, Chuck will be missed. Had many great conversation with Chuck under the Watt avenue bridge while casting Spey rods. One great conversation we had was about 3 piece rods vs. 4 piece and how he felt the 3 piecers had more of a true flex pattern throughout the whole blank over a 4 piece. Good times, rest in piece Chuck!

He loved that 1307 T and T. Spent a lot of mornings casting with Chuck, Larry, Don Powell etc. Miss those guys.

Here is Joe Shrishac, (my head), Chris Christensen, Marilyn Kiene and Chuck Campana at the Kiene's Expo April 2018.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXPO 2018.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	16732
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I really enjoyed working with Chuck, he taught me a lot. He's the reason I go by Charlie now, couldn't have two Chuck's at the shop.
    After all that, when I was running the kitchen at OneSpeed pizza, I would see him out in front of his house in the mornings. We would talk before I had to get back to work. He will be missed.

Hope to see ya'll on Friday.
    Last edited by Charlie Gonzales; 03-03-2021 at 08:53 AM.

A good guy- I used to come the shop a lot more in the past before family took over and he was always a great guy to talk with. Dang he could cast too...

Chuck was a true gentleman! And he always, always took the time to make me feel so very welcome around him with a big smile and kind words. I have been thinking of him often since his passing. Thank you for everything Chuck. Best, Bob