Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripers Today

Default Stripers Today

I know I am posting a lot of stripers but that is what is out there right now.

The wind died a little this afternoon after a pretty good two day pounding so I went out looking for a bite. I did get a couple grabs and fortunately one of them weighed 7.5 pounds on the boga. The fish barely grabbed on the first cast. Probably a nip at the tail of the fly. Just enough to make you think you may have gotten bit or that your mind is playing with you but either way you sure are throwing another cast in there. On the second cast he went all in and made a full grab. That has happened quite a few times with stripers. Fun stuff.

I tested my boga a couple of days ago and it was dead on at 4, 8 and 14 pounds so I feel pretty good about it. Some good fish down in the Delta right now. If you get good day with light winds give it a shot.

I like the way you use your materials in that fine looking bug, John. A fabulous baitfish pattern, for sure.
    ....lee s.

Polar flash in the tail, grey and white slinky flash on the body, firefly crystal flash on the sides and angel hair baitfish on top. It might have too much flash for sunny days. I think I will try a low flash version and maybe yellow eyes. Experiment with it a little and see what they like. It does seem to get more grabs than my Clousers. It is fun to tie.

Hi John. Great looking bait pattern. Keep it simple, I say. But, it got more complicated for me when I opted for 60 degree jig hooks over the past 15 years. Do you have any issues with the right-side-up J hook getting into the gills more often? Like I said, I've always been more fond of the simple J hook bait fish patterns...... without the weighting too for moderate flowing current, like the flooded islands or when there is a lot bait around, like the good old days.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 02-26-2021 at 11:30 PM.

I don’t think I have gill booked a striper yet. It happens one in maybe 50 fish with large mouth. I did have problems with smallmouth and deer hair divers. I don’t know why but they got gill hooked too much so I switched to mostly streamers for them. I do use the jig hooks for the clousers.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Hi John. Great looking bait pattern. Keep it simple, I say. But, it got more complicated for me when I opted for 60 degree jig hooks over the past 15 years. Do you have any issues with the right-side-up J hook getting into the gills more often? Like I said, I've always been more fond of the simple J hook bait fish patterns...... without the weighting too for moderate flowing current, like the flooded islands or when there is a lot bait around, like the good old days.
    Stripers are plentiful, if you get a bleeder take it home, they make great fish tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I don’t think I have gill booked a striper yet. It happens one in maybe 50 fish with large mouth. I did have problems with smallmouth and deer hair divers. I don’t know why but they got gill hooked too much so I switched to mostly streamers for them. I do use the jig hooks for the clousers.
    Good deal. Thanks!

I am just curious because Jig Style hooks have been so prevalent that I wonder if it's gone too far in that direction. In any event, the Striper patterns (for particular situations and season) I like to tie are much easier and simpler to tie on the J Hook and required so much engineering to convert to a Jig Hook.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 02-28-2021 at 07:30 PM.

I am giving some thought to eating one. A guy came by in his car while I was loading my boat and was telling me how great they are to eat. He said if you get a good one it tastes just like Dover sole. I don’t know how great Dover sole is but he liked it. People are pretty talkative when you are out fishing. Especially the bankies. It is interesting to talk to them. I have seen a fly guy with a dog in a boat a couple of times and talked to him. Nice guy. He seemed to be a pretty serious striper fisherman so I thought it best not to tip him off as to where I thought the fish we’re holding. He probably has lots of spots and does not need mine anyway. I figured if he watched this board he might have recognized me so he probably doesn’t and won’t see this post.

The only reason I have that hook is because I was trying to copy a fly I bought. I thought it was too much hook for stripers but the guy at the shop said it was about right.
    Last edited by John H; 02-28-2021 at 12:07 PM.

John I love all your posts and your pics are always magnificent!
    The only time I’ll take a striper home is when my wife asks and that means it’s taco night. They are awesome w a mango salsa, I only keep the schoolies

[QUOTE=Jake B;201622]John I love all your posts and your pics are always magnificent!
    The only time I’ll take a striper home is when my wife asks and that means it’s taco night. They are awesome w a mango salsa, I only keep the schoolies[/QUOTE

One last thing, cut the red meat off the filet before you cook. Tastes fishy and a fella a long time ago said that’s where they store all the contaminates.