Thread: Rod wrapping thread

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Default Rod wrapping thread

I have a question for rod builders. With the old Gudebrod threads mostly extinct (except or the odd eBay post), I need to find a replacement thread. For those of you who have used it, does ProWrap Nylon behave similar to the old Gudebrod nylon thread? Specifically, is it "round" so that each wrap tends to lay down next to the previous one? Some threads want to flatten which makes it harder to keep your wraps side by side. And secondly, does it turn darker and slightly translucent under epoxy, similar to the old nylon? I don't use color preserver. Here's a photo of a ferrule wrap before epoxy and a photo after epoxy to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thread before epoxy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wraps no epoxy2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	16713

Thread after epoxy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stripper with epoxy.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	16714

I think ProWrap makes two kinds - one is ColorFast and one is simply nylon. I'm assuming the plain nylon thread will behave the same as the old Gudebrod.

Appreciate any experience or review you have for rod wrapping thread.
    Last edited by DLJeff; 02-24-2021 at 09:54 AM.

FWIW, I use embroidery thread since Gudebrod got hard to find years ago, and have not had any issues with it. But I do use color preserver.

The ProWrap thread is considerably stiffer than Gudebrod thread. Not nearly as supple. I don't remember it flattening any more than Gudebrod. It has been a few years since I have used either...
    Ted

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Thanks for the input, guys. The ProWrap line certainly has a large color selection.