Thread: Any Recent Pyramid Reports?

Default Any Recent Pyramid Reports?

I'm thinking about heading up Friday/Saturday. I'm a very infrequent Pyramid fisherman, usually only fishing once every other year or so near the opener in October. That's generally from the pontoon.

Any tips or advice anyone wants to provide here or by PM would be much appreciated. Most importantly either ideas for specific beaches or water type for this time of year, i.e. gentle vs. steep dropoffs. Strip or indi more productive? etc.

Thanks in advance.

Not that recent, but i fished it the weekend of 2/13 and it fished pretty good. Mostly southern beaches but did go up north a bit. There was a storm though and very windy conditions, which is generally better fishing most folks say. I have had great fishing there on blue sky days with no wind however, so that isnt always the case. I was fishing beaches with steep dropoffs, stripping flies with a sinking head. I like overhand casting a 2 handed rod there. Most came on white and chartreuse beetle, lots of 3-8 lb fish and one 12 lber, no really big ones this trip. Saw a few landed by others bobber fishing but stripping outfished nymphing without fail every spot i fished the whole weekend. By now the fish should be coming in enough that more shallow beaches should be getting good i would think? A lot of folks talk about how good the bobber fishing starting about now thru the end, but in the past i still have had much better luck stripping late in the season. Good luck!

Thanks...........

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I'm thinking about heading up Friday/Saturday. I'm a very infrequent Pyramid fisherman, usually only fishing once every other year or so near the opener in October. That's generally from the pontoon.

Any tips or advice anyone wants to provide here or by PM would be much appreciated. Most importantly either ideas for specific beaches or water type for this time of year, i.e. gentle vs. steep dropoffs. Strip or indi more productive? etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Woodman !!!!

I think Jcolin nailed it with his report/advise.

Not to de-rail your post.........

I haven't been able to go to the "Big Lake" since the first week in Janurary.
    I've had a couple of bouts with pretty severe chest congestion.

I'm currently on the mend and just about ready to start spewing out some reports again.

Just wanted you to know that I'm not holding out on your request for info.

Dang Cutthroats.....................

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Hey Woodman !!!!

I think Jcolin nailed it with his report/advise.

Not to de-rail your post.........

I haven't been able to go to the "Big Lake" since the first week in Janurary.
    I've had a couple of bouts with pretty severe chest congestion.

I'm currently on the mend and just about ready to start spewing out some reports again.

Just wanted you to know that I'm not holding out on your request for info.

Dang Cutthroats.....................

Bob
    Bob, I am glad to see you that you are on the mend buddy!

Woodman, it has been a few weeks (maybe even a month) since I have been to the mid. My last trip produced a lot of rats for me with nothing in the double digit range. If I were you, try to go on a day with some wind and possible weather. Also, I would bring two setups: one rod to indicator and another to strip.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

One other thing Woodman.........................

The last time I fished the lake (early January) the restrooms were locked, at least at the "southern beach I like to frequent".

Maybe someone that has fished it recently can give a restroom status report............otherwise, have a good "plan B" in place, just incase.

Good luck to you...................

Bob

Yes the bathrooms were still locked valentines day weekend unfortunately...doesnt seem to make a lot of sense as the tribe is allowing fishing again. The portapotties at the marina beach are open fortunately. Bob wishing you a speedy recovery, remember reading in an older post that you had covid.