Thread: New To Fly Fishing NEED HELP!!!

Exclamation New To Fly Fishing NEED HELP!!!

I saw some multiple piece fly rods with reels, all in a pack, ready to go and fish at Gander Mountain. The cheapest one was a Plunger which went for like $50-70 range and it seemed to catch my eyes. Thinking about buying one now but I don't know were to start! What size rod would I need? Should I even get one? I mainly fish bass with a spinning rod and a bait caster and I call myself a semi-Pro... not that I'm so good, just that I'm average to better than the average bass fishermen and I only fish from shore! Any ways, yea, I don't do much pan fishing or trout fishing since I do not have the time and gas to drive far to fish for trout. What are the main fish targeted with fly fishing? Should I get one?
    Grayson Everett

Any 6 weight fly fishing outfit will get you started....

Redington, TFO, Echo and Orvis all have basic complete fly fishing outfits that are under $200.

See if there are any fly fishing clubs near you. These folks can be very helpful.

You will need some casting help or lessons.

If you want to build a great bass outfit I would buy an Echo "Lift" fly rod in the #7 line size - 9' #7 line in 4 pc.- $114.00

Buy a basic fly reel that will balance with a #7 rod - $50 to $100.

Buy a Rio Mainstream Bass WF7F floating line = $39.95

If you buy this in a fly shop or order it from a fly shop they will usually put the line and backing on the reel for you.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I agree with what Bill said. I would add, don't go for the "cheap" route. Those "cheap" rods are notoriously miss matched and difficult to cast. Rods are stiff, lines don't load them properly, etc. You will run into casting issue, and most people get frustrated and give up on fly fishing, thinking they cant do it or it's too difficult. Getting a properly balanced outfit right out of the gates will increase your learning curve, and success.
    Joe Garza
    J.A.G. Fly Fishing
    jagflyfishing@gmail.com
    (530)570-0978

Look at TFO rods. They are one of the lower priced rods and in my opinion, one of the best. I'll put it up against any $500 or $600+ rod. I use all TFO rods because they are a great rod, for a great price with the BEST warranty in the business.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Beginning Fly Fishing

The difficulty in advising anyone on beginning to invest in fly fishing equipment is that there's a lot more than rod/reel/line involved. In addition to the good info that's been mentioned, an actual outfit includes a leader or leader material, Bass flies, some backing on the reel for the line, possibly swivels, etc. I think it's a good idea to either join a local club or find a guide to take a trip with to find out whether you'll even like fly fishing for Bass or at all before investing.

After that, if you still decide to start fly fishing, get ready for a fun but costly activity....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Call Kiene's Fly Shop (800)410-1222 in Sacramento. A bunch of the guys who work there fish for bass with fly tackle.

April/May/June is a great time to fly fish for Bass, especially with top water bugs.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If you fish conventional gear, you already know the drill- buy nice or buy twice.

Go find a good local shop, talk to them and let them know your budget- they will do you right.