I got in my kayak today and there was a guy in the slough in a small boat throwing an Alabama rig and claiming to have seen on his sonar a school of 50 big stripers. I thought "yeah right". He said he had lost the school when he got his Alabama rig snagged and was cruising around in his boat looking for them on his sonar. I was skeptical but I thought maybe he had spooked them with the Alabama rig and they had bolted upstream to the next good holding spot where I just happened to be heading. Sure enough they were there. I hooked three big ones that were laying within about 50 feet of each other. The hook fell out on the first one - bummer. The second one went to the bottom and wrapped the line around a log resulting in a break off - big bummer and foul language. The third one was just barely hooked but stayed on and was 10 pounds. That was enough activity to chase them out of there and off toward Yuba City to see Tony. I expect it will be a long time before I run into a school like that again.

Pretty good day. Winds were light and some other nice stripers and a couple of bass were caught. My homemade mullet fly seems to be working which is good.