Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear Lake crappie

Default Clear Lake crappie

I’m thinking about going to Clear Lake this week for crappie. I do have access to a boat. I’ve done some research but I know the experience of this board is priceless. You fly fishers have any words of wisdom for this Clear Lake newbie?

Careful of rattlesnakes! And you will have plenty of company. Sometimes "lockjaw" can be a real challenge.
    .....lee s.

Live minnows or balanced leeches

There is a group on Facebook called Clear Lake Crappie Guide Service. My understanding is that the crappie are biting but are 20' to 30' deep.

Back in the late 50’s, when Clear Lake was still clear and I was just a kid, our family visited a place called “Swedbergs” on the lake over by Konocti Bay. I remember my older brother catching a huge crappie off the dock with a dead minnow floating on the surface. My dad drove over to a baitshop in the highlands to weigh it and the owner wanted to keep it to have it mounted. Understand this was 60 years ago but I think it was over 5lbs. I remember rowing a boat up & down the Tully line so my dad could hit the pockets with a popper. After he caught a couple he’d row & I got to catch a couple. Great memories!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lee s. View Post
    Careful of rattlesnakes! And you will have plenty of company. Sometimes "lockjaw" can be a real challenge.
    .....lee s.
    I understand you find the fleet of boats and join in. I will be hoping for some fish willing to join me in my boat

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Live minnows or balanced leeches
    Thanks-balanced leech it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mike borba View Post
    There is a group on Facebook called Clear Lake Crappie Guide Service. My understanding is that the crappie are biting but are 20' to 30' deep.
    Thanks Mike. I’ll check them out. I am on a few sites like that and they are always helpful and sharing about how to get comfortable fishing a new area.
    Last edited by Quinnphoto; 02-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Back in the late 50’s, when Clear Lake was still clear and I was just a kid, our family visited a place called “Swedbergs” on the lake over by Konocti Bay. I remember my older brother catching a huge crappie off the dock with a dead minnow floating on the surface. My dad drove over to a baitshop in the highlands to weigh it and the owner wanted to keep it to have it mounted. Understand this was 60 years ago but I think it was over 5lbs. I remember rowing a boat up & down the Tully line so my dad could hit the pockets with a popper. After he caught a couple he’d row & I got to catch a couple. Great memories!!
    I think we all look for those moments from our trips. 60 years ago but still like yesterday. What a wonderful way to enjoy our past. 5 lbs is a whopper!!! Thanks for sharing. Pretty sure all who read this will be reminiscing back to a great fishing memory.

msg sent......