Thread: My brother, Dick Kiene, hooks up on the Eel River..........

Default My brother, Dick Kiene, hooks up on the Eel River..........

He said to be sure to report that this wonderful wild Steelhead was only held for a matter of seconds.

He said it spent the first half of the battle in the air and then ran down deep for the other half.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dick.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	16646
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Beautiful hen Bill, thanks for sharing! Nothing like an arial show, love it!

Nice, thanks Bill. Got one nearly identical to that fish on Saturday up on the south fork...however your brother,s, Bill, sounded like a much better fight. Not complaining as it's the only one I've gotten this winter. The grab was great, nearly pulled the rod out of my hand, but she pretty much just swam slowly right to my feet after, never hooked a steelhead that gave such a lazy fight. Nobody else around and first thinng in the morning, so don't think she had been hooked by anyone else, did see an otter in the tailout so maybe she was tired from being harassed by it. Love the Eel system so much, such special fish.

Thanks, Bill!

SF has scattered fish, not fish in big numbers but there are fish around. Glad your brother got a nice one. I fished the SF the past two and a half days, hooked 5 fish total plus whiffed another. Heading out in an hour (it is 5:30 a.m. Thursday right now) to fish a few spots this morning before the rain starts. SF forecast to come up 3 feet or so starting Noon today. The 3 fish I have landed look just like your brothers fish, chrome hens, 7-9 pounds.

Default Nice California Winter Steelhead

Bill;

Beautiful winter steelhead catch by your brother. It is nice to see more fish in the South Fork Eel River. Prior to the Great Floods of 1955 and 1964, during the 1938-39 to 1963-64 seasons, winter steelhead counts at Benbow Dam averaged over 14,000 fish. During the 11 years following when the last counts were made during the 1975-76 season, annual counts averaged less than 4,000 fish, a 75 percent reduction. The floods coupled with poor land use practices took its toll on fish habitat. Fortunately, the habitat has been slowly recovering. More information and status on the South Fork and other California steelhead rivers can be found in our new book – California Winter Steelhead, Life History and Fly Fishing, available at www.dennisplee.com

Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eel River page spread.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	16648