Thread: Timing for Stripers in the Port of Sacramento?

Default Timing for Stripers in the Port of Sacramento?

Does anyone know when the Stripers are in that area?

I would guess Sept through Dec?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fished the POS for years , all Months , all conditions . What did I learn ??

It's usually 'needle in a haystack' . Stripes are always there , but the turning basin is 30+ feet deep , and the Stripes normally are on the bottom , or suspended close to it . Your highest percentage options are -

#1 . Fish Lake Washington for LMB and Crappies , though I understand that most of the sunken boats were removed several years ago .... so the Fish won't be concentrated on them . Also I saw a LOT of people keeping LMB , both overlimiting and undersized Fish .

#2 . Big Shad population in there . Sometimes , in late Fall/early Winter .... the Stripes will drive them into the barge canal . Less than 15 feet deep , so your odds using flies go way up . I have had 40+ Striper days out there from a float tube .

Most days , using leadcore out in the turning basin can scratch up a few , but it is work . Not sure how safe it is to be out there anymore , but it was touchy 5+ years back . I can only imagine , what with the increase of homeless , junkies ,etc. .... that CA. has seen over the past few years , you would want to watch your Car and gear closely .

Hope this helps !

D.~

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    Not sure how safe it is to be out there anymore , but it was touchy 5+ years back . I can only imagine , what with the increase of homeless , junkies ,etc. .... that CA. has seen over the past few years , you would want to watch your Car and gear closely .
    I am so sick of the vermin destroying California. Really takes the fun out of fishing when you have to worry all day if your truck is going to get broken into or stolen while on the water. Is California ever going to get serious about crime and bums?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I am so sick of the vermin destroying California. Really takes the fun out of fishing when you have to worry all day if your truck is going to get broken into or stolen while on the water. Is California ever going to get serious about crime and bums?
    My Wife and I had a Daughter in 2017 , and by 2018 we'd made a plan to leave . We escaped last July , because things were just becoming out of hand . Rioting and looting (wait .... 'protesting' .) just a few miles from our home , people literally crapping in the street , kids barely in their teens smoking meth at a local park in broad daylight . NOT the place to raise a child ! I had already quit fishing in CA. perhaps 5 years before leaving . My local Smallmouth streams were hammered by catch and keep , and too filthy w/ human shit and drug paraphernalia/needles to have contact with .The American River parkway was already a sketchy place 20 years ago when I was fishing it hard . Now ? You couldn't pay me to go out there unarmed . People have become desensitized , and the rule of law and basic civility/sanitation/sanity has fallen by the wayside ...

My Child will never grow up thinking any of that nonsense is 'normal' -

Andrew Guibord
    7:05 PM (54 minutes ago)
    to me

"I believe fall to spring".......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Another local Striper Commando said Jan/Feb......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I’ve done well for several years from my kayak in March and April.