Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LGC's DIY Skwala

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Lance, Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to tie Jon's original pattern which calls for "Extended over body: Larva Lace black foam" -- but cannot find that material anywhere (discontinued?). Your version calls for black 2MM foam instead. Is that because the Larva Lace foam can no longer be foun? I believe the Larva Lace gets shredded easily (and maybe that's why it may have been discontinued), but it sounded like an integral part of the pattern. Do you find the 2MM foam just as effective?

Thanks.
    Yes - the 2mm foam is perfect for the fly. Don't tie the wing super long. It will cause the fly to spiral while casting. I like my to the bend of the hook.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Thanksa again, Lance.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    Here is a link to Steve Ojai's Fly Box for Bill's Skwala

https://flyfishingthesierra.com/billskwalastone.htm

Here is the recipe for the Unit Skwala

The Skwala Unit is the brainchild of Jon Baiocchi. I have made several additions to the fly. I tie it on a high-quality hook, Firehole 718 hook. I also have added some UV Krystal Flash under the foam wing for added detail. Some folks call it “Bling”, but I have found that it has increased the hookups for this fly by almost 21%. In addition, I have taken off the white Puglisi 3D Silky Fiber with Bright Orange Antron Yarn, as a sighter. The Size 12 I tie for the male Skwalas and the Size 10 I tie for the female Skwala. The Mrs. Skwala Unit has a dubbing ball of Black Ice Dub at the bend of the hook. This represents eggs on the female. The female is also a little bigger than the male. Both, of these flies are need in your fly box if you are fishing the Yuba or Skwalas anywhere!!
    Hook – Firehole 718 Size 10-12
    Thread – Danville Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive #61
    Body – Golden Yellow Yarn
    Wing – UV Tan Krystal Flash, Black 2mm Foam and Hot Orange Antron Yarn
    Head – Danville Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive #61
    Bullet Head – Moose Hair
    Legs – Medium Brown Round Rubber

If you need anything else let me know?

Thanks

"increased the hookups for this fly by almost 21%"

LOVE THIS!

A guy I met in Colorado calls them B52s. The one that landed on me was about 3” long.

How's the hatch going on the Y this season? Haven't gotten a chance to go out there yet. Maybe in another 3 weeks..? Fingers crossed!

NK