Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: LGC's DIY Skwala

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willows
    Posts
    718

    Default LGC's DIY Skwala

    Folks,

    Here is a cheat sheet for the Skwala Hatch.

    Enjoy!!

    https://conta.cc/3auKGFU
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willows
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Here's a fishing report based on my fishing the last week or so.

    Enjoy!!

    Get out there and fish!!!

    https://conta.cc/2ZrC1Px
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thanks for the inspiring dry patterns! Do you happen to know if there's a SBS guide to tying any of these? I have a trip planned in about a month where I anticipate some skwala action, and for some reason it's been tough to find good guides for skawla dries.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willows
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johan851 View Post
    Thanks for the inspiring dry patterns! Do you happen to know if there's a SBS guide to tying any of these? I have a trip planned in about a month where I anticipate some skwala action, and for some reason it's been tough to find good guides for skawla dries.
    Here is a link to Steve Ojai's Fly Box for Bill's Skwala

    https://flyfishingthesierra.com/billskwalastone.htm

    Here is the recipe for the Unit Skwala

    The Skwala Unit is the brainchild of Jon Baiocchi. I have made several additions to the fly. I tie it on a high-quality hook, Firehole 718 hook. I also have added some UV Krystal Flash under the foam wing for added detail. Some folks call it “Bling”, but I have found that it has increased the hookups for this fly by almost 21%. In addition, I have taken off the white Puglisi 3D Silky Fiber with Bright Orange Antron Yarn, as a sighter. The Size 12 I tie for the male Skwalas and the Size 10 I tie for the female Skwala. The Mrs. Skwala Unit has a dubbing ball of Black Ice Dub at the bend of the hook. This represents eggs on the female. The female is also a little bigger than the male. Both, of these flies are need in your fly box if you are fishing the Yuba or Skwalas anywhere!!
    Hook – Firehole 718 Size 10-12
    Thread – Danville Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive #61
    Body – Golden Yellow Yarn
    Wing – UV Tan Krystal Flash, Black 2mm Foam and Hot Orange Antron Yarn
    Head – Danville Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive #61
    Bullet Head – Moose Hair
    Legs – Medium Brown Round Rubber

    If you need anything else let me know?

    Thanks
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willows
    Posts
    718

    Default

    I have has so many people looking for Skwala dates and learning the Yuba River - I opened up a Yuba Tour for next Saturday - February 27, 2021. I already have two people in it. So I can only take one more.

    Go to this link for more information and how to book the tour.

    http://lancegrayandcompany.com/fly_f...uba_river_tour

    Thanks
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    Here is a link to Steve Ojai's Fly Box for Bill's Skwala

    https://flyfishingthesierra.com/billskwalastone.htm

    Here is the recipe for the Unit Skwala

    The Skwala Unit is the brainchild of Jon Baiocchi. I have made several additions to the fly. I tie it on a high-quality hook, Firehole 718 hook. I also have added some UV Krystal Flash under the foam wing for added detail. Some folks call it “Bling”, but I have found that it has increased the hookups for this fly by almost 21%. In addition, I have taken off the white Puglisi 3D Silky Fiber with Bright Orange Antron Yarn, as a sighter. The Size 12 I tie for the male Skwalas and the Size 10 I tie for the female Skwala. The Mrs. Skwala Unit has a dubbing ball of Black Ice Dub at the bend of the hook. This represents eggs on the female. The female is also a little bigger than the male. Both, of these flies are need in your fly box if you are fishing the Yuba or Skwalas anywhere!!
    Hook – Firehole 718 Size 10-12
    Thread – Danville Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive #61
    Body – Golden Yellow Yarn
    Wing – UV Tan Krystal Flash, Black 2mm Foam and Hot Orange Antron Yarn
    Head – Danville Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive #61
    Bullet Head – Moose Hair
    Legs – Medium Brown Round Rubber

    If you need anything else let me know?

    Thanks
    This is excellent, thanks! I'll tie up a few of these and bring them along.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sacramento, Driggs
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    Here is a link to Steve Ojai's Fly Box for Bill's Skwala

    https://flyfishingthesierra.com/billskwalastone.htm
    That is a juicy looking fly especially for rougher water. I would probably trim the hackle a bit to get it down in the film especially on slower water areas.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willows
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    That is a juicy looking fly especially for rougher water. I would probably trim the hackle a bit to get it down in the film especially on slower water areas.
    Yes, sir - done it before!!:
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •