Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putah Creek Invasive Species Reminder. Do not be a Super Spreader!

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    Have the snails had a demonstrable impact on the fish?
    I asked this very question when my organization and The Nature Conservancy took over management of Independence Lake. I was told that it has less to do with the fish, although there is some concern about the food chain base getting screwy and affecting fish that way. IT is more that it clogs water delivery infrastructure and gets costly to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    I asked this very question when my organization and The Nature Conservancy took over management of Independence Lake. I was told that it has less to do with the fish, although there is some concern about the food chain base getting screwy and affecting fish that way. IT is more that it clogs water delivery infrastructure and gets costly to fix.
    John, I believe the concern over clogged water delivery systems is more about invasive mussels than snails. It appears that in most instances the threat of what NZMS could do, wasn't nearly as bad as the long term outcomes have realized. Like mitten crabs, that were going to take over the City of Stockton, but didn't (I haven't even seen one in a while), NZMS seem to have reached an equilibrium within their new found eco systems. This doesn't, in any way, mean we should let our guard down. Invasive species (plants and animals) have wreaked billions of dollars in damage to our native flora and fauna. No telling when the next one will be truly horrible. Think star thistles.

What are your predictions for Weber this summer? I predict mosquitoes June into July with some breezy afternoons to keep them at bay.

Yep pretty sure you are correct. Quaggas thats it! Thanks for the correction.

The fishing has been great until mid july, then deep trolling is the only way until early October, then it is bananas. Now that lcts are the only fish getting planted the fishery is changing around. For a few years it seemed they just wouldnt look up, but they have been more. Streamers and sheep creeks make em bitey. And they are growing for sure. Hoping for some more water this winter. It got low and warm last year.
    In the old hotel lobby there is a 50(ish) year old framed needlepoint that is a mosquito and under it says “so many campers, so little time”. But those breezes sure are nice. Those weeks you reference are gnarly, but before and after that are all good.

You should see the old hotel. We lifted it up and put a foundation under it to keep it from deteriorating any more. Just shoved two huge i beams through the front windows and lifted it up. Crazy. We had to pull the siding because a lot of it was installed in the 50s and by that time the hotel had sunk. Now that its plumb(ish) the siding all buckled. Underneath the siding is basically giant 1860s lincoln logs. We are going to leave the interior bare so people can see the construction.
    Last edited by John Sv; 02-05-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Yep pretty sure you are correct. Quaggas thats it! Thanks for the correction.

The fishing has been great until mid july, then deep trolling is the only way until early October, then it is bananas. Now that lcts are the only fish getting planted the fishery is changing around. For a few years it seemed they just wouldnt look up, but they have been more. Streamers and sheep creeks make em bitey. And they are growing for sure. Hoping for some more water this winter. It got low and warm last year.
    In the old hotel lobby there is a 50(ish) year old framed needlepoint that is a mosquito and under it says “so many campers, so little time”. But those breezes sure are nice. Those weeks you reference are gnarly, but before and after that are all good.

You should see the old hotel. We lifted it up and put a foundation under it to keep it from deteriorating any more. Just shoved two huge i beams through the front windows and lifted it up. Crazy. We had to pull the siding because a lot of it was installed in the 50s and by that time the hotel had sunk. Now that its plumb(ish) the siding all buckled. Underneath the siding is basically giant 1860s lincoln logs. We are going to leave the interior bare so people can see the construction.
    Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    If you check DFG electro shocking numbers and fish the entire body of water I’d say definitely not.
    I volunteered with the CADFW a few years back to help with an electro shocking fish count on Putah. We only did one section of the creek, pretty much 100 yards downstream from the highway bridge. The biologists did the shocking and the volunteers did the netting and carrying the container of the caught fish. After that was the counting and measuring and then releasing of the trout. In that one section we caught well over 300 trout. Most were pretty small, but there were some nice sized ones and plenty more that got away from us. I think the DFW folks were pleased by the results.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    Have the snails had a demonstrable impact on the fish?

When NZ mudsnails move into a system they generally have a huge explosion in numbers and a significant negative impact on other fauna including fish. After several years their numbers begin to decline and some form of equilibrium returns and fish numbers begin to recover.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Default Invasive species on pc

Providing reminders about what anglers can do to mitigate invasive species is a good thing and your effort is appreciated. That being said, the NZMS has been in PC for many years, as has Whirling Disease and other pathogens. At this point in time the NZMS, have spread to almost every water where people fish in the state with no apparent negative results. I may be mistaken, but I believe that's true. Good hygiene is always the best policy particularly if you travel to other states or countries where the presence of NZMS may possibly have a more deleterious effect. For example in the state of California, where Whirling Disease was originally found, the fish have developed an immunity though in other states like Montana it caused a major problem some years ago. Though I personally believe that NZMS is no longer anything to worry about within the state of CA, there may be other pathogens in various waters in the state, that can be mitigated by sterilizing waders and boots. Good post.