Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putah Creek Invasive Species Reminder. Do not be a Super Spreader!

Default Putah Creek Invasive Species Reminder. Do not be a Super Spreader!

Hello,

This winter, I have been driving by Putah Creek heading to Lake Berryessa. I have seen several anglers fly fishing along the creek. There seems to be more pressure since the fires cleared areas around the creek.

Are there signs warning anglers about the invasive specie New Zealand Mud Snail & precautions to prevent the spread? I have also seen several websites from fishing guides reporting on Putah Creek. There is no mention cautioning anglers about invasive species on this creek. I assume they discuss this w/ their clients; however, those anglers that decide to go based on the internet fishing report postings may not get this information.

If you fish Putah Creek, you need to thoroughly ‘disinfect’ your wading equipment! Here is what you can do to prevent the spread of NZMS:

After leaving a body of water, inspect all gear including waders, boots and float tubes. Also inspect boats and trailers. Remove visible debris with a stiff brush and rinse on site.
    Freeze waders and other gear overnight (for a minimum of six hours) or dry completely between use.
    Use additional waders and boots in infested waters and store them separately.
    Never transport live fish or other aquatic animals or plants from one waterbody to another.
    For more information on NZMS visit www.wildlife.ca.gov/NZMS

Thanks for being a responsible angler!

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    Hello,

This winter, I have been driving by Putah Creek heading to Lake Berryessa. I have seen several anglers fly fishing along the creek. There seems to be more pressure since the fires cleared areas around the creek.

Are there signs warning anglers about the invasive specie New Zealand Mud Snail & precautions to prevent the spread? I have also seen several websites from fishing guides reporting on Putah Creek. There is no mention cautioning anglers about invasive species on this creek. I assume they discuss this w/ their clients; however, those anglers that decide to go based on the internet fishing report postings may not get this information.

If you fish Putah Creek, you need to thoroughly ‘disinfect’ your wading equipment! Here is what you can do to prevent the spread of NZMS:

After leaving a body of water, inspect all gear including waders, boots and float tubes. Also inspect boats and trailers. Remove visible debris with a stiff brush and rinse on site.
    Freeze waders and other gear overnight (for a minimum of six hours) or dry completely between use.
    Never transport live fish or other aquatic animals or plants from one waterbody to another.

Good reminders -- I think there are signs near a couple of the access points about NZMS, but not all of them.

Now, cue the band to flog the dead horse about fishing Putah in the winter, as we have not had that discussion in a few months.

Hello,

There’s already NZ mud snails in PC. Have been for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Good reminders -- I think there are signs near a couple of the access points about NZMS, but not all of them.

Now, cue the band to flog the dead horse about fishing Putah in the winter, as we have not had that discussion in a few months.

The spawn is way over. I hiked the creek and didn’t see any active spawners in January. Feb-March is usually a good time to get back on.

Great points Fin! I do inform all guests & friends of the snails and mitigation measures to take post trip. That said, given the digital age we live in now, a little online awareness to a not often addressed issue wouldn’t be a bad idea at all. I try to keep the social media stuff, especially around Putah, to a minimum but that’s a good message to share.

Ross - that’s great to hear, I personally stay away till March just to be safe but have been worried we would get a major storm causing a mud/silt dump mid spawn from the fires similar to what happened after the Wragg fire. Hopefully the little alevins mature enough to clear the redds before/if that happens. Lord knows we need the rain and snow here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    There’s already NZ mud snails in PC. Have been for several years.
    ...and now you know why invasive species get introduced into other waterways.

Ross, if your not a robot, then this is a prime example of a failed education system in the USA. Ross, FYI , this is not a compliment.

BRB, getting popcorn

...and now you know why invasive species get introduced into other waterways.

Ross, if your not a robot, then this is a prime example of a failed education system in the USA. Ross, FYI , this is not a compliment.
    Awwwww you hurt my feelings. Guess you just decided to try fishing due to covid and feel the need to remind us what we’ve all known since NZ mud snail showed up. Thanks for catching us up. Might want to leave your ego at the next fly fishing club you joined too.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 02-04-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Have the snails had a demonstrable impact on the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    Have the snails had a demonstrable impact on the fish?
    If you check DFG electro shocking numbers and fish the entire body of water I’d say definitely not. I’m no biologist though but Fin apparently needs to name call people for something he knows very little about. The uneducated resort to those tactics.