Hello,

This winter, I have been driving by Putah Creek heading to Lake Berryessa. I have seen several anglers fly fishing along the creek. There seems to be more pressure since the fires cleared areas around the creek.

Are there signs warning anglers about the invasive specie New Zealand Mud Snail & precautions to prevent the spread? I have also seen several websites from fishing guides reporting on Putah Creek. There is no mention cautioning anglers about invasive species on this creek. I assume they discuss this w/ their clients; however, those anglers that decide to go based on the internet fishing report postings may not get this information.

If you fish Putah Creek, you need to thoroughly ‘disinfect’ your wading equipment! Here is what you can do to prevent the spread of NZMS:

After leaving a body of water, inspect all gear including waders, boots and float tubes. Also inspect boats and trailers. Remove visible debris with a stiff brush and rinse on site.
Freeze waders and other gear overnight (for a minimum of six hours) or dry completely between use.
Use additional waders and boots in infested waters and store them separately.
Never transport live fish or other aquatic animals or plants from one waterbody to another.
For more information on NZMS visit www.wildlife.ca.gov/NZMS

Thanks for being a responsible angler!