Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tidewater Steelhead

Default Tidewater Steelhead

Russians blown so drove north and fished the tidewater of one of the smaller mendo rivers today. Wondering if you guys prefer fishing an incoming or outgoing tide for steelhead? I know the odds arent good but would be awesome to get one so close to the salt. When I worked in southeast Alaska a few summers ago, we’d fish the outgoing tide for steelhead in the tidewater, only hooked 2 in that part of the river but they were definitley memorable fish. Seems like opinions vary from what ive read about the columbia system, so just curious to hear anybody’s take on it more locally.

In my tide water experience years ago seemed like the fish would get excited, start rolling as the incoming tide got higher then they

would go up stream a ways with the tide. As the tide receded they would come back down to where they originally were holding.

I think they are affected by the full moon and maybe dark of the moon?

I believe February, on average, is the top month for winter SH.

Early and late in the day or fog is good. Low light is good. Use a black fly at this time.

In the daytime use an orange, gold or silver fly.

Seem like they move upstream more and roll more in the morning and evening and probably night time?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

High slack is always my favorite. When fishing tidewater it seems to create more space around the bar and make it a little safer for the steelhead to cross. When I fished Tillamook I would always try to time my day to hit the afternoon tide. All the boats would put in at first light and be done pretty early. I’d put on later and float farther. By the time I got to the lower end of the beat, the new tide would have a fresh wave of fish in. Not sure if this works on the longer river systems but the river I fished was only about 35 miles till it was a tiny creek.

In larger streams it is a different ballgame. For small coastal streams, I have found it pays to check it out at all tides and learn it.

Default Tidewater Steelhead....

Without too many exceptions, on smaller coastal rivers/streams I found that high tide brought in more fish but would allow them to scatter or move straight thru. Going from high to low tide seemed to concentrate the fish in depressions, holes or undercut banks so you could locate where they were and target them. That said, I fished tidewater whenever I had the opportunity regardless of the tides. Didn't catch as many when the tide was high, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Very interesting stuff thanks guys, very much appreciate your insight.
    Bill i was thinking something similar as far as fly patterns, chose a comet as it seems like anything shrimp like would be appropriate.
    Last edited by Jcolin; 01-31-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Yes, the Comet style fly was what most of the old timers tied for the tide water.

They used long bucktail or squirrel tail fibers to make a long tail to try to keep the fly swimming level.

Some did tie a tide water shrimp as well.

For the really clear water situations coastal anglers like Hal Janssen tied very small, sparse flies to not scare the fish.

**Most of my info here is from listening to veterans like Al Perryman and Walt Bennett who are both in the movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast". I was very lucky to be able to go with them to the coast in the winter back in the day. I am an information guy.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

PINK flies.

Also some of us have spent decades learning the tricks to fishing these streams. NOTHING beats time and experience on the rivers. Each system has its own characteristics. Gotta just go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Yes, the Comet style fly was what most of the old timers tied for the tide water.

They used long bucktail or squirrel tail fibers to make a long tail to try to keep the fly swimming level.

Some did tie a tide water shrimp as well.

For the really clear water situations coastal anglers like Hal Janssen tied very small, sparse flies to not scare the fish.
    Bill is correct. The Comet style fly was very popular from the Russian north to the Eel River on many of California coastal rivers and creeks. And yes, Hal Janssen was one of several successful anglers who fished the estuary and lower slow moving pools of these rivers. In California Winter Steelhead, Life History and Fly Fishing, a picture on one of his sparse pink bodied flies, tied by Hal himself, is included along with other popular comet patterns and shrimp imitations. The history of how and when the comet style and other California winter steelhead fly patterns were created make interesting and entertaining reading in the book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover and TOC.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	16606