Thread: Keiryu Fishing

Default Keiryu Fishing

I recently bought a 17' 7" Keiryu and plan to use it for trout in streams and rivers. If I can get proficient at it, I'll try to fish from it lakes from my Scadden inflatable.

Does anyone have experience with these Keiryu rods? Have you found them to be fun? effective?

Started Tenkara 8-9 years ago. Felt I wasn't getting solid hooksets so I got a Keiryu rod (13') with a stiffer tip and I haven't looked back. I now have 6 Keiryu rods since I primarily nymph. Don't have any approaching 17'. My longest is a 13-14' zoom.
    I have thrown dries with success with them. Easy to get a good drift.
    Never used one on stillwaters would be difficult to cast an intermediate line. Could probably chironomid fish effectively.
    I use mine to primarily Euro nymph or tight lining. For me very effective and when you catch fish its always fun.

Thanks for the post, Bob. I'm anxious to try the Keiryu.

Just one more thing. If you aren't already familiar with the site Tenkarabum is the guy I've bought all my rods from.
    Tons and tons of information, almost too much. Check out the site, reasonably priced rods and I've never had an issue with shipping or a response.
    Good luck. Also I've never used a tenkara fly, I tightline with regular nymphs especially jig-style ones. Easy to do with level line...bob

Can't help you with the 17' rod longest I used was a 14' rod and felt it was too much. I have settled on 10-12' as my preferred length. The Keiryu I really like best is 10.5' and I use it in small streams when backpacking or for euro-nymph style fishing on the pit river. Being able to collapse it and stow it while climbing over boulders is very helpful.