Thread: Storing Fly Rods

Default Storing Fly Rods

Hi All,

I guess I probably should have thought of the best place to store fly rods a long time ago. I store all my rods in
    the garage. But, thinking about how hot CA gets, I'm wonder if I should bring them in the house? The temp in
    the garage when we get 105+ degrees has to be well over 120. I've had some bike gear go bad (the rubber)
    and break down, get all gummy because of the heat. Even ruined a nice riding jacket with rubber collar.

That said, are the rods ok in that kind of heat as long as they're in cases? I haven't noticed any defects or
    performance issues but thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks,
    Eric

It is hotter than I want to risk- I keep mine indoors for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Hi All,

I guess I probably should have thought of the best place to store fly rods a long time ago. I store all my rods in
    the garage. But, thinking about how hot CA gets, I'm wonder if I should bring them in the house? The temp in
    the garage when we get 105+ degrees has to be well over 120. I've had some bike gear go bad (the rubber)
    and break down, get all gummy because of the heat. Even ruined a nice riding jacket with rubber collar.

That said, are the rods ok in that kind of heat as long as they're in cases? I haven't noticed any defects or
    performance issues but thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks,
    Eric
    There are no components in a modern fly rod that would be effected by 150 degree heat. I wouldn't store cane rods there, but glass or graphite should be fine (as long as they and their socks are put away dry). The rubber components failing in your garage might be from ozone degradation. Idling vehicle engines, HVAC, water heater, etc kick out ozone which WILL wreck anything made with latex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    There are no components in a modern fly rod that would be effected by 150 degree heat. I wouldn't store cane rods there, but glass or graphite should be fine (as long as they and their socks are put away dry). The rubber components failing in your garage might be from ozone degradation. Idling vehicle engines, HVAC, water heater, etc kick out ozone which WILL wreck anything made with latex.
    I agree 100% with Ralph. I have 40 year old glass and graphite rods stored in the garage with no adverse effects to anything except for the rubber seal that goes on the end cap of the metal rod tube. As Ralph said, ozone will wreak havoc with rubber, but for that I don't care.

Superb, thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it!

Eric

One time I remember that someone had stored some old fiberglass spinning rods in a curved position in the heat of their garage and

they took a permanent set or bend.

Heat in the garage might not be good for waders, rain gear, fly lines or monofilament?

As Ralph eluded to, don't store your rods in a case and bag when it is wet.

I have seen several old Fenwick fiberglass rods stored wet and the finish was all bubbled up.......tiny bubbles.

I think it was merely cosmetic though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........