Thread: American 1/24

Default American 1/24

I love fishing vicariously through this site so I figure I should do my part.

Decided to hit the American Sunday afternoon. It looked like the weather should be pushing in around 3pm and I always feel like I have a better chance of catching something if I'm wet, freezing and miserable. I arrived at upper Sailor Bar around 3pm. No rain and just overcast skies. Several other fishermen on the water with one very dark steelhead with a scuffed nose being landed as I arrived.

I have been practicing with my spey throwing an indicator, not typical I'm sure but mending is really easy. After about 45 minutes of working a soft seam between quicker water the indicator with a trailing pegged orange bead and a Fox Poopah takes off sideways across the riffle. Immediately after coming tight the fish does a tail walk, porpoise bolt across the river followed by a 1-1/2 back flip, gainer with too much splash for a quality score in a diving competition. Then it was straight downstream in the fast current for maybe 50 yards. I followed the fish downstream and after a little bulldogging and head shakes on the surface it was photo time. 12 lb tippet allowed me to keep the fight short. Returned quickly to resume it's upstream travels. It never actually rained on me until the drive home at 5pm... Overall the water is low and clear. Hopefully all this rain will bring in some new fish. Tight lines! Katz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARSteelhead1-24-21.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	16564  
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I love fishing vicariously through this site so I figure I should do my part.

Decided to hit the American Sunday afternoon. It looked like the weather should be pushing in around 3pm and I always feel like I have a better chance of catching something if I'm wet, freezing and miserable. I arrived at upper Sailor Bar around 3pm. No rain and just overcast skies. Several other fishermen on the water with one very dark steelhead with a scuffed nose being landed as I arrived.

I have been practicing with my spey throwing an indicator, not typical I'm sure but mending is really easy. After about 45 minutes of working a soft seam between quicker water the indicator with a trailing pegged orange bead and a Fox Poopah takes off sideways across the riffle. Immediately after coming tight the fish does a tail walk, porpoise bolt across the river followed by a 1-1/2 back flip, gainer with too much splash for a quality score in a diving competition. Then it was straight downstream in the fast current for maybe 50 yards. I followed the fish downstream and after a little bulldogging and head shakes on the surface it was photo time. 12 lb tippet allowed me to keep the fight short. Returned quickly to resume it's upstream travels. It never actually rained on me until the drive home at 5pm... Overall the water is low and clear. Hopefully all this rain will bring in some new fish. Tight lines! Katz
    "Peanbut Butter Jealous".... Good job!!! I am planning on getting out there soon. If you don't mind sharing, what tippet are you using and is your Fox Poopah olive in color?
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    "Peanbut Butter Jealous".... Good job!!! I am planning on getting out there soon. If you don't mind sharing, what tippet are you using and is your Fox Poopah olive in color?
    The poof is in the pudding-love the pic of that fish. Nice job And thanks for sharing.

9 ft tapered to 12lb fluoro leader (indo at about 7ft where I was). 12 lb tippet. 8mm bead pegged and an olive #12 poopah. Good luck!
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    9 ft tapered to 12lb fluoro leader (indo at about 7ft where I was). 12 lb tippet. 8mm bead pegged and an olive #12 poopah. Good luck!
    Thanks! Are you using Rio's Fluoroflex Plus Tippet?
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Thanks! Are you using Rio's Fluoroflex Plus Tippet?
    You guessed it. K

Hot damn! That's awesome. I can feel the stoke and want to get out there myself soon (been focusing on trout elsewhere recently)
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Good for you I was out both Saturday and Sunday morning from sailor bar to sunrise and only had one light take in the riffle below sunrise. Sure was crowded though. Funny thing is i was telling my norther in law we should try late in the day as i bet there are less people out