Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me understand the physics of an interesting hookup incident

The dynamics/variables associated with foul-hooking are complex but there are some constants. I have done various studies on foul-hooking both with flies and lures. I have also backed it up with underwater observations. Generally, fish that are foul-hooked tend have the hook point insertion at or near "hard" edge structures like fins or other body parts. In some of my observations viewing tight lined lures/flies, it was the fish reaction to the line that trigger a movement (quick turn) that then triggered the angler to strike. This forced the lure/fly to travel along/over the fishes body usually on or near one of those edges. Once the lure/fly hook point travelled across the structure it provided enough leverage/edge for the hook point to set-in. I saw this on swung flies and dropper flies...just some food for thought as fish that get hooked are not always going for what we think/hope they are....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Brian,

With all due respect to your theory. I can't remember the last time I was eating and missed my mouth..LOL

Carl Blackledge
    You are comparing apples to watermelons. Hahaha
    All I can say is this, how can one fish grab my flys several times while swinging across the river and not get stuck. How can 1 fish grab my fly on the dangle, I feel the weight of the fish and as I bring the rod up to start fighting the fish, how does it pop off. I know I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by Brian Clemens; 01-31-2021 at 11:17 AM.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

I hate those dangle takes, low percentage landing ratio on those. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Brian,

With all due respect to your theory. I can't remember the last time I was eating and missed my mouth..LOL

Carl Blackledge
    Carl, stuffing grapes into your mouth is a fair deal less complex than catching grapes thrown at you. Fish miss their target all the time. I have video to prove it. One of the most memorable was watching a trout lunge at a back swimmer that was clinging to a stick poking from the mud. The bug escaped but the fish pulled the stick out of the mud and carried it around, chewing on it, for a solid 30 seconds. It apparently couldn't believe it had missed a sitting target.

Ever watch a kid in high chair try to eat? Food goes everywhere, they even get some in their mouths from time to time.

As this video shows, fish sometimes seem to be able to do what many NFL wide receivers can't.

https://fb.watch/3twcOkDZ5J/

Feeding seems to take some experience to master......I'm still working on it.