Thread: Pyramid 1/23

Cool Pyramid 1/23

My father and I decided to hit the Mid and head over the pass through unplowed snow in Truckee and Sparks on Pyramid Way. It was quite the adventure. The day offered light snow/rain, cloud cover, and good wind.

The theme for the day was to “expect the unexpected.” I decided to try out the patterns that Quinnphoto had success with in his last post. Unfortunately for me, I did not have any luck (keep in mind that we had totally different weather conditions as a comparison). So it was back to the fly box for me...I decided to try out what worked from my previous trip with no luck as well. Then I decided to try out what worked from my trip 2x ago with no luck again. So I decided to try something entirely different and we finally got into some fish.

We ended up catching 8 fish, 1 double digit, and a few LDRs. The double digit was somewhere between 12-14lbs as the scale was being weird in the cold. The hot ticket were dark midges that produced. It was kind of a tough day but it eventually worked out.

So I am convinced that productive patterns can literally change daily at Pyramid Lake. I hope one day I figure out some consistency.

On that note, maybe conditions will be a little more consistent at the Mid after these storms. Tight lines everyone!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AEB6128-D70D-4CC1-B984-CEF74AE00A46.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	16562
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    My father and I decided to hit the Mid and head over the pass through unplowed snow in Truckee and Sparks on Pyramid Way. It was quite the adventure. The day offered light snow/rain, cloud cover, and good wind.

The theme for the day was to “expect the unexpected.” I decided to try out the patterns that Quinnphoto had success with in his last post. Unfortunately for me, I did not have any luck (keep in mind that we had totally different weather conditions as a comparison). So it was back to the fly box for me...I decided to try out what worked from my previous trip with no luck as well. Then I decided to try out what worked from my trip 2x ago with no luck again. So I decided to try something entirely different and we finally got into some fish.

We ended up catching 8 fish, 1 double digit, and a few LDRs. The double digit was somewhere between 12-14lbs as the scale was being weird in the cold. The hot ticket were dark midges that produced. It was kind of a tough day but it eventually worked out.

So I am convinced that productive patterns can literally change daily at Pyramid Lake. I hope one day I figure out some consistency.

On that note, maybe conditions will be a little more consistent at the Mid after these storms. Tight lines everyone!Click image for larger version. 

Thanks for the report Peter. I think your day worked out pretty well. If at first you don’t succeed try try again. It’s so cool your dad goes to fish with you. I think midges at your beach is the ticket.

The day offered light snow/rain, cloud cover, and good wind.

The theme for the day was to “expect the unexpected.”

So I decided to try something entirely different and we finally got into some fish.

The hot ticket were dark midges that produced. It was kind of a tough day but it eventually worked out.

So I am convinced that productive patterns can literally change daily at Pyramid Lake.
    Good job finding out what those danged cutthroat wanted.

Maybe the old adage "Dark sky, Dark fly" rang true for you yesterday.

And good job to your father for holding up the "pig of the day".
    Was that his fish ????

Gawd............................I need to get back out there soon......................

Dang Unpredictable Cutthroats..................................

Envious Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Wow! That fish could eat what we catch around here. Quite stunning!

I've caught Stripers in that class on a fly but it never ceases to amaze when I see trout that big...
    Last edited by guido; 01-24-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Good job finding out what those danged cutthroat wanted.

Maybe the old adage "Dark sky, Dark fly" rang true for you yesterday.

And good job to your father for holding up the "pig of the day".
    Was that his fish ????

Gawd............................I need to get back out there soon......................

Dang Unpredictable Cutthroats..................................

Envious Bob
    He sure did Bob. He has caught the biggest fish on the last 2 trips! I’ve been playing the role of the psuedo guide lol

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Wow! That fish could eat what we catch around here. Quite stunning!

I've caught Stripers in that class on a fly but it never ceases to amaze when I see trout that big...
    It’s a blast catching a big one out there...in fact, it is addicting!

Peter V

Beautiful fish. Love the spots!
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Beautiful fish. Love the spots!

Thanks. I am glad we got that one!

Peter V