Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Striper

Default Kayak Striper

A couple of days ago I got a nice striper but I botched the picture. He thrashed around and made a daring escape before I had a chance for a photo. At the time I thought no big deal but later it started bugging me so I decided I needed to go get my fish back and get a photo. I knew the chance for redemption was slim to none but I was going anyway. Some things you just cant let go of. So I put on a new T-14 line, tied up a few fresh clousers and broke out my new TG-6 camera and looked for a break in the weather and some tide movement. Long story short, I went out this afternoon and got one a little better than the one from the other day.

Lucky deal for sure. It was nice to be out with the clouds and rain after the clear dry weather we have been locked into and there was a rainbow on the way home. Good stuff.

Not a lot of stripers around but sometimes all you need is one.

Last edited by John H; 01-23-2021 at 10:57 AM.

What a beauty !

Whoa there John !!!!

What a beautiful fish !!!!

Pretty cool that you went back looking for redemption................. and found his big brother !!!

I haven't figured it out yet, but, there's gotta' be a tie with the rainbow and your day of fishing.

Good job John............spank 'em when you can.

Envious Bob

Outstanding

Thanks John........you are a great ambassador for our wonderful sport of fly fishing, outdoor photography and canoe/kayaking.

I am going to get a new iPhone 12 Pro mostly for the camera.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The kayak/canoe fishing in the last year has been interesting. I had the kayak for five years but did not use it much. When the pandemic shut travel down I was stuck at home so I started going out close by just because there was nothing else to do. I soon figured out I could use the kayak to access pretty good fishing within 20 miles of my house. Places I had thought about going to for a long time but had not gotten around to. Kind of funny that it took a global pandemic to get me to fish water that has been 20 miles from my home for 50 years.

I should get a real boat but that might actually ruin the fun for me. Sometimes if you get more serious about something it becomes less fun and there is no going back.

I also like keeping things simple when I can. I think that is what I like about fly fishing. When it is at its best it can be very simple. Angler-rod-reel-line-fly-fish. A direct connection for you to intervene in the predator - prey game that has been going on forever. Get out there when you can.
    Last edited by John H; 01-24-2021 at 11:37 AM.

We first got out on the water in the old round float tubes and fishing at eye level with the insects and fish is so exciting.

Vboats, rafts, pontoons, canoes, kayaks, prams(with oars or electric motors) and Strand Up Paddle Boards are all so quiet too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I've dabbled in sf beach fishing with fly Rod during covid but you have been considering exploring a kayak to try the delta.

Any tips on kayaks to look at etc?

Thanks steve

I have not looked at them much but if you have pedals you can use both hands to fish while you move with the pedals. Pedal models are heavier so you need a vehicle to haul them. I don’t think you can put them on top of your car like you would with a paddle only kayak. If you need to do the car top haul a paddle only can work and they are less expensive. I have the Hobie PA 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBYO4OPFvmQ

Review of Hobie PA 12 vs Hobie PA 12 '360' peddle kayaks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958