Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Yuba report 1/20

Default Quick Yuba report 1/20

Fished the Yuba yesterday down around the island and lower to avoid any crowds. Nice day, great weather. Would have loved a few clouds. As has been seen in other reports, no shortage of people on the water yesterday. Only one guided drift boat all day . . . hard to believe.

The water is really low and absolutely gin clear. Your "A" presentation is required. There was a nice Mayfly hatch from about 1 pm - 2pm yesterday, with fishing rising to them in the usual places. NO Skwalas sighted yesterday . . . yes 0 Skwalas . . . who knows why? My winning fly was a Purple Haze, size 16. Personally, I like the Split Post Purple Haze, and that's what I threw for a dry that worked. No action on any Skwala dry that I threw.

I love these Yuba fish. 12" fish is peeling line off of a 5 weight on decent drag. These fish are always combat ready. I bet these rains forecast for the next 2 weeks will start pushing the river around. The river needs it, and God knows so do the reservoirs.

That's the short quick report!

Bob

Thanks for the complete report......

Sounds like 'matching the hatch' is very necessary.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

With the rain forecast I went out Sunday- fished lower and did not have the crowds as expected. Did get an olive hatch, plenty of bugs, and was able to get a couple to take on a 16 parachute bwo, including a very nice sucker. (I'm not proud!)

Pretty windy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    With the rain forecast I went out Sunday- fished lower and did not have the crowds as expected. Did get an olive hatch, plenty of bugs, and was able to get a couple to take on a 16 parachute bwo, including a very nice sucker. (I'm not proud!)

Pretty windy!
    Any fish on the Yuba is a win

A sucker on a dry?!? Hell, that is an accomplishment if you ask me.

I agree. Any dry fly that can bring a sucker up should be in the fly fishing Hall of Fame . . . or maybe it was the excellent presentation by the guy on the end of the rod????!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    A sucker on a dry?!? Hell, that is an accomplishment if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    I agree. Any dry fly that can bring a sucker up should be in the fly fishing Hall of Fame . . . or maybe it was the excellent presentation by the guy on the end of the rod????!!!

I should be so good - pre hatch I started with a Walt's Worm and PT dropper, and got the sucker on on the WW - I think the hot spot caught his attention.

In 30 plus years, I don't think I've ever hooked a sucker on a dry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    In 30 plus years, I don't think I've ever hooked a sucker on a dry!
    On the SF of the Snake we occasionally see whitefish caught on dries, even that is an accomplishment in my book...though it's always strange to me that grayling will routinely rise while whiteys will not. I have been learning (unintentionally) how to catch them on the swing...not super proud of it...

For what ever reason, the suckers in Martis Lake readily rise during a hatch.

Whitey’s . . . You mean the Whistling Rainbow Trout don’t you?