Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Fly Fishing downtown?

Default Night Fly Fishing downtown?

Is there access to fish the Sacramento at night from a dock or bank? I'd like to see what lurks in the dark and see the city lit up like I used to back home when I would fish for catfish on the spin rod. I was thinking of parking somewhere near I street Bridge and trying Broderick boat dock for a few casts.

Good way to get murdalized. You don't want to be around anything that lurks in the dark in any city in California.

Default Night Fly Fishing???

Not sure you'd be in danger of being murdered but being mugged would be a distinct possibility. Limiting your exploration to the downtown area means lots of homeless folks who tend to sleep during daylight hours and roam at night seeking economic opportunities and involuntary property transfers. Not sure it's any better on the Yolo County side either. Many years ago, we used to fish for Catfish at night in the ship channel but even there you have to be on alert for ships passing (the wake they put out easily washes almost to the top of the levee. If you're determined to fish from a dock or shore, I'd recommend checking out potential launching spots at night that'er well lit, in person.

Otherwise, You'll need a boat.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

50 years ago this might be OK but today I would not like to be out at night in any big city in America.

We use to wade the sand bar at the mouth of the Feather river at night in the spring for Stripers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I don't want to sound like a broken record but it simply is not safe-

Great Job @Twowheelsonecamera
    Grayson Everett

Lol 'sad face' ...just wanna get some night fishing in on the fly. I can only imagine what lurks under that water at night.

Can you fight? Might be a bonus to the fishing lol.

I night fished with a fly rod in Calgary, on the bow river about 10 years ago. It was a very surreal experience. No luck, but probably safer than Sac.

I also night fished with a surf rod near Fisherman's Wharf(?) in San Fran. Also very surreal, but safe because of all of the people.

I'd say if you can go to a more crowded, well-lit area you might be safer.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Why don't you wait a bit till the stripers show up in a couple of months. Then bring a lantern and a friend with you to stand guard while you fish.

This is a real possibility at the mouth of the American, or the mouth of the Feather, or farther up the Feather. There's not much in the way of lights or lit docks farther up river. Maybe if they'd let you fish on those docks under the "Crab Shack" it would be worth a try.

I think I'd still bring a friend to stand guard
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180