Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Flow hotline

Default Low Flow hotline

Guess im just bitching, but pretty frustrating not being able to fish the river i live on when its well over the minimum cfs, forecast by CNRFC to peak at 1200 and more rain out here in guerneville forecast for wed. The humboldt hotline ive noticed seems to be better maintained. I very much support the low flow regs, think they should of gone into effect on the russian sooner, but dont understand why i should be ticketed for fishing when the river is at 450 and well above the 300 cfs minimum, just because they cant get it together to update a phoneline. Maybe they think that is too much to ask anglers to be responsible for checking the usgs flows at the correct gauge before going fishing? There were multiple instances last few years where they didnt update it for days, despite falling on a mon wed or friday (which i also find silly). If anyone on here works with DFW and could provide some insight id be interested. Have a lot of respect for wardens and biologists and all the good work fish and wildlife does but seems like theres gotta be a better way of doing this.
    Last edited by Jcolin; 01-04-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Whats the hotline phone #?
    Is there a master list of phone #’s

For the russian its 707-944-5533. For the rivers further north its 707-822-3164. The whole thing about it that im so disgruntled about is that, even if the rivers flows are well above the minimum, its still illegal to fish until they update the hotline. My first year steelhead fishing up on a humboldt coastal river, i didnt know that was the case, checked the usgs website sAw it was above and drove up to fish, lucky i didnt get a ticket, just didnt know any better.

I do gotta say though that the guy on the russian/gualala hotline has a great voice; vaguely Louisiana accent almost sounds like Aaron neville. Just wish theyd update it more.

Default Low Flow Reg's....

Seems reasonable to ask that these recorded messages be updated rapidly when conditions allow waters to be opened up. Of course, posting your concern here doesn't appear to make CADFW aware of the problem. How about sending them an e-mail note?? I've had numerous communications with the Department (telephone/e-mail) some without result but all were well received/answered.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, yes have wrote them an email also multiple times in the past when this happens. Have also talked to them on the phone and very politely try to make my point. The gal i talked to today was very nice, but based in suisun city (DFW Bay Delta Region) so not very familiar with the russian and our low flow regs. Just venting on here, i apologize. assuming other folks on this board have been calling the number today too maybe...funny a lot of times when you call on days like this you get a busy signal, so i guess only one person can call at a time? ��

One time on the Russian a friend of mine was almost ticketed for keeping a hatchery steelhead. The fish biologist thought it was a coho. SHE COULDN'T IDENTIFY A STEELHEAD. This is just one of many many stories I have of the ineptitude of our fish and wildlife department. Hypothetically I wonder if they would throw it out of court if you tried to fight a ticket? I bet it would be hard for them to enforce it if the angler is within the law. Maybe. I'm just venting now lol.

Russian River stupidly----A few years back the the local fly shop had a "big fish" contest on the Russian River for Steelhead- the fish that won the contest was a 17 pound Silver Salmon, A local biologist saw the picture in the newspaper and blew the whistle on the winner and also handed him a very large fine of around $700.00...now talk about a collection of fools!!!!!! I think people should have to take a test to buy a fishing license?

Carl Blackledge

It is not hard to learn how to identify a fish species. I can do it in seconds upon looking at a fish.

Carl I absolutely agree that there should be an online test required only once per life with questions at the end in order to buy a fishing license. Doesnt need to be as extensive as hunter safety course but at least some basics like why it is illegal to intentionally snag fish, how to debarb a hook etc.