Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help picking a full sinking line for stillwater?

Default Help picking a full sinking line for stillwater?

I'm looking for a 6 wt density compensated line for fishing leach, damsel nymphs and streamers. This would be the line for the deepest structures, and covering lots of waters between obvious hatches. So I'd really like it to cast well over long distances.

I'm looking at the SA Sonar Seamless Density 5/7, the SA Sonar Titan sink Int/3/5 or the RIO Fathom

Thoughts on these lines? Alternatives I'm missing?

Thanks!

guido

You might want to consider a shooting head system. They're rather common on this side of the continent. It should do all you ask, but your casts will be much longer than any normal line.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    You might want to consider a shooting head system. They're rather common on this side of the continent. It should do all you ask, but your casts will be much longer than any normal line.
    Ed
    What Ed says. You have described the perfect scenario for a shooting head. Anything else would be a compromise.

Interesting. I have used a shooting head system on my 9wt for Striped bass in the salt. Definitely the brute strength approach. I hadn't given it a thought for this application. Certainly something to think about. Thanks!

I agree with Ed. I started using shooting heads back in the early 70's and still use them today. I use the dreaded Amnesia clear shooting line, most people hate the stuff. It wasn't until the early 90's I started using full lines.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

For ~20 years those semi-clear medium sinking full weight forward lines have been the best selling sinking line for stillwater.

Rio, Cortland, Orvis, Scientific Angler Master and Airflo all make them.

They are usually rated in inches per second sink rates.

30-50 years ago the top selling stillwater sinking line was a weight forward full sinking type 2 medium sink line.......

The most popular brand and size and type where: Scientific Angler WF6S Wet Cell II or Cortland WF6S type 2

Serious stillwater Commandos might have 2 to 4 complete outfits full rigged in the boats.

9' rods in 5 and 6 weights are the top sellers with 4 in third for stillwater.

1) dry fly floater
    2) indo floater
    3) true Intermediate slow sink = 1/2 IPS
    4) clear medium sink = 2 IPS
    5) fast sinking full weight forward line = 3-6 IPS

Sink-tip are used in stillwater but not as a rule by the masses.

Hal Janssen, Brian Chan and Phil Rowley have a written about Stillwater fly fishing in depth.

They have videos, books and articles on the subject.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I live in an area where in the summer the trout holding depth for most lakes is 20-30 feet. A type 5 or 7 is more appropriate. Which prompted my question about the best casting version of these lines...

It would be hard to find the person with that knowledge.

Someone would have to get hold of about 6 of those lines and cast them all in a real world situation?

Rio, SA, Airflo and Cortland......in that order of popularity, according to sales......but not your answer.

Those super fast sinking line are very dense and are thin with very little taper so the line speed is pretty fast.

**In the old days I probably could have gotten you one of each of those lines free so you could run a test.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Deep Lake Lines....

Based on your statement about the depth at which Trout hold in winter (20 to 30 feet), I'm voting (as others have, here) for a shooting head system. Maybe a RIO T head cut to length needed coupled with an OPST running line (the slickest I've ever used) and a short leader. RIO T heads are thin/level profile and sink very fast. So, a short leader is necessary to avoid the line sinking faster than the fly. If you don't feel like casting this set-up, it can be trolled slowly (an added advantage).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Boy that brought up some good memories. Back in the 70's we used to fish for trout in the summer at depth on a lake I lived on, usually in the evening. As Darian mentioned we would slow troll using our oars to move the boat because the oars allowed the fly to speed up as we powered forward raising the fly in the water column and then sink again while we returned the oars back to the power position or catch ( note we would pause at the end of each stroke). We used full sink lines with short 3-4' leaders, featherwing or marabou streamers mostly but, occasionally sparsely tied muddlers. The rod was laid horizontal across the seats and the tip was maybe a foot above the rear gunwale. It was very effective for those deep fish. We caught both trout and smallmouth bass. We also kept a backup rod with a dry fly setup as occasionally a hatch would come off and we would stop trolling and cast to the risers.

Regards, Tim C.