Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help picking a full sinking line for stillwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    It would be hard to find the person with that knowledge.

Someone would have to get hold of about 6 of those lines and cast them all in a real world situation?

Rio, SA, Airflo and Cortland......in that order of popularity, according to sales......but not your answer.

Those super fast sinking line are very dense and are thin with very little taper so the line speed is pretty fast.

**In the old days I probably could have gotten you one of each of those lines free so you could run a test.
    Agreed. But I was hoping the hive mind of the forum would have enough individual opinions to get a good picture.

For example, Joe might know RIO lines and have a specific opinion after using the Fathom line. Jim might use the SA line and think the Titan casts better, but the Seamless Density sinks better. Sue uses the Cortland... And so on.

We do have the shooting head option well covered and I appreciate those who contributed on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    For ~20 years those semi-clear medium sinking full weight forward lines have been the best selling sinking line for stillwater.

Rio, Cortland, Orvis, Scientific Angler Master and Airflo all make them.

They are usually rated in inches per second sink rates.

30-50 years ago the top selling stillwater sinking line was a weight forward full sinking type 2 medium sink line.......

The most popular brand and size and type where: Scientific Angler WF6S Wet Cell II or Cortland WF6S type 2

Serious stillwater Commandos might have 2 to 4 complete outfits full rigged in the boats.

9' rods in 5 and 6 weights are the top sellers with 4 in third for stillwater.

1) dry fly floater
    2) indo floater
    3) true Intermediate slow sink = 1/2 IPS
    4) clear medium sink = 2 IPS
    5) fast sinking full weight forward line = 3-6 IPS

Sink-tip are used in stillwater but not as a rule by the masses.

Hal Janssen, Brian Chan and Phil Rowley have a written about Stillwater fly fishing in depth.

They have videos, books and articles on the subject.
    I have Brian and Phil's books and have seen many of their videos. Fantastic resources... I need to check out Hal more.

We been using s/a uniform sink. We fish sink 4 most of the time but also have sink 5 too if fish really deep. Sink 2 is really good too for fishing weed beds and depths up to 7ft or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyasdad View Post
    We been using s/a uniform sink. We fish sink 4 most of the time but also have sink 5 too if fish really deep. Sink 2 is really good too for fishing weed beds and depths up to 7ft or so.
    Thanks! The input is much appreciated!