Thread: Stillwater indicator set-up with Switch rod

Default Stillwater indicator set-up with Switch rod

I just acquired a Hardy Demon 6/7 wt Switch of that I intend to use on Pyramid Lake next month. I have a Rio Outbound Short Type 6 (375 grains) that overhead casts well on this rod.

I would appreciate some advice on what line to use with a 6/7 wt Switch rod when fishing Chironomids or balanced leeches under an indicator (with two handed overhead casting or spey casting)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klaashutter View Post
    I just acquired a Hardy Demon 6/7 wt Switch of that I intend to use on Pyramid Lake next month. I have a Rio Outbound Short Type 6 (375 grains) that overhead casts well on this rod.

I would appreciate some advice on what line to use with a 6/7 wt Switch rod when fishing Chironomids or balanced leeches under an indicator (with two handed overhead casting or spey casting)?

Thanks

Klaas,

I think we chatted a little bit about this last year.

Anyhow, I'm sure lots of water has passed under that bridge as 2020 has been the "Pits".

I went back and found some info I had posted almost a year ago about the rigs I use.

Here you go:

"My Gear..........

I've got three rods that use at the lake.

For stripping sinking lines, I use a single hand 10' 8wt. rod I built many years ago (All-Star Blank) which was very close to a Dan Craft fast action blank of that era.

My sinking fly line is a Rio Outbound Short WF8I/S6 and I use a stripping basket with it.
    Believe it or not, I'm able to cast my sinking line further with a double haul, using this single hand rod, than I can with a two-hander.

For my first floating rig I have a 7wt. Redington Dually (older version) 7113-4 Switch Rod.
    My floating line is a Wulff Ambush @ 550 grains.
    Yep, my rod may be a bit overlined, but it matches MY casting stroke, can punch into a moderate head wind, and rips two tungsten bead head flies with a large indicator a long way.............. if needed.

My second floating rig is a Cabelas Vector 6wt. 1106-4 Switch Rod.
    I use a Scientific Anglers Adapt Switch Line @ 440 grains (now discontinued).
    This rig feels nice and light in hand, but lacks the "authority" to cast into a moderate head wind like my 7wt. does..............of course.

I do not overhead cast either of my floating rigs. I use a single spey/roll cast.

So, in essence, my floating lines are a "scandoid" type and they do serve me well at Pyramid.
    I don't use any tips, I use a 2-4 foot 40lb amnesia leader butt and ~13 feet of 12lb flurocarbon as my leader.
    That 13 foot length is about the maximum length that "I can cast" and still get good turn-over.
    And be forewarned that the Wulff Ambush line has a DEFINITE memory/coiling problem in the head portion if you're considering that line".

Another helpful tip...........................go to your nearest tackle store and buy a pack of tiny swivels.........I use the #40lb ones.
    Put the tiny swivel inline about 2 feet above the top fly on your leader.
    This is HUGE in stopping line/leader twist.

Others will have their opinions/recommendations of what the "best" rig is.

This is just what works well for me..........ymmv.

Didn't want to leave you hanging out there with no responses.................................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-29-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Bob.......I am sure this will help.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bob

You're welcome guys !!!!!!

Remember though, "This is just what works well for me..........ymmv".

Bob

You have pointed me in the right general direction. I will figure the rest of it out through a bit of trial and error. Thanks