Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coastal weather looking promising...

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    If it stops raining after next week, then who knows, the SF could be closed for low flow by then...realistically it’s hard to plan these things more than a few days ahead. It’s nuking rain in Fortuna right now. The VD was perfect flow and color today but will probably blow out overnight again.
    Oh I will definitely be checking the flows every day before I come up.

Also was planning on calling Grundmans before making the trip.

Just to reinforce how finicky the coast is, when I left Fortuna today the SF was closed for low flow, the VD had turned brown, and the main stem was perfect.

Just got back from Redding area. Was headed up Thursday am and heard a noise, turned out a shock in the rear had worked loose. After that fun time in New Year’s Eve getting it fixed I was down to basically one day, so fished the upper sac nyd morning and lower sac later.

Dunno what I did wrong but fully blanked- kinda bummed!

Anyone know what is going on with the Scotia Guage? I haven't seen reading from it in a few days now. I'm sure it is too high to fish this weekend but it could be ripe soon!!!!!

The timing game has started!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    Anyone know what is going on with the Scotia Guage? I haven't seen reading from it in a few days now. I'm sure it is too high to fish this weekend but it could be ripe soon!!!!!

The timing game has started!!!
    Good question. Looks like the Scotia gauge stopped recording on the 5th.

South Fork at Miranda is between 2000-3000.

It might be worth giving Grundmans a call and they might have some info for you.

Also maybe the flows hotline, 707-822-3164.

The flow hotline will be no help. They only tell you if the river is open, not the actual flow.

On my way to Oregon today, January 14th. I stopped by Judge Carver's Hole on the SF Eel, right at the Junction of Hwy. 101 & Hwy. 1
    The water was high but fishable, 30-35" viz, nice green color, some leaves and debris washing by but not an issue. I pulled off 101 again right at the Benbow Inn and drove down to the confluence of the SF Eel and the East Branch of the SF. Maybe 15" of viz at that spot and the water was smoking. Likelystill too big on Friday for the Benbow to PG&E run or Benbow to Dean Creek, but Saturday should be fishable but maybe still a touch high on that stretch of the SF. The "Main" was big and dirty, as expected.
    Planning to fish either the Smith or the Elk tomorrow and Saturday, hoping the Sixes will start fishing by Sunday or Monday. I may stop by the SF Eel Thursday-Saturday of next week on my way home. The "Main" should be fishable by then as well.

Yeee-Haw! I think the window is open! We are going to take a crack at it this weekend. Heading up to the SF first thing tomorrow and we will be up there through Tuesday. We'll probably stick between Leggett and Benbow tomorrow do a little swinging and scope launch/take out areas and work our way north. I am bringing the driftboat this time. It will be our first time floating this river. We are intermediate oarsmen, the majority of my rowing having taken place on The Trinity. Any need to know info on drifting this river? From the looks of it on Google Earth, there doesn't look to be too many sketchy areas. Especially, the further north you go... any words of wisdom here is greatly appreciated. We will predominately using the boat to shuttle between gravel bars conducive to swinging but, we will have an indo set up for the "shuttling" runs. Egg and what under the bobicator???

If you see a blue and white Hyde XL Low say hi.

Tight lines!

Jay

Yeee-Haw! I think the window is open! We are going to take a crack at it this weekend. Heading up to the SF first thing tomorrow and we will be up there through Tuesday. We'll probably stick between Leggett and Benbow tomorrow do a little swinging and scope launch/take out areas and work our way north. I am bringing the driftboat this time. It will be our first time floating this river. We are intermediate oarsmen, the majority of my rowing having taken place on The Trinity. Any need to know info on drifting this river? From the looks of it on Google Earth, there doesn't look to be too many sketchy areas. Especially, the further north you go... any words of wisdom here is greatly appreciated. We will predominately using the boat to shuttle between gravel bars conducive to swinging but, we will have an indo set up for the "shuttling" runs. Egg and what under the bobicator???

Tight lines!

Jay
    See you on the river!

I plan to fish the American River at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

Then around 10AM or so I will make the drive up to Leggett for the afternoon bite!

Plan to fish spots along the South Fork all day Sunday and in the morning on Monday before heading back to Sac.

Personally, I would NOT recommend taking a hard hulled drift boat on your first trip between Benbow and Piercy. Raft, yes, hard boat, not for the first time. A few spots could get you in trouble, and you may have to portage some of the low water bridge crossings above Benbow depending on river height. And I personally would NOT take a hard boat at all between Legget and Piercy. Raft only. Yes, you can do it in a hard boat, but if you're an intermediate rower, you wouldn't see me in your boat on that stretch. My general rule of thumb is hard boat OK below Garberville, soft boat OK above Garberville. But I'm lucky and can pick and choose since I have lotsa toys!

Tight lines!

Jay
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 01-15-2021 at 01:21 PM.