Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coastal weather looking promising...

I fished Benbow Drive above and around the campground Thursday, beautiful conditions but nary a touch. Drove the Avenue of the Giants, and even though there were people in every decent run, not much was happening.

Fished the Mad this morning, and it is just that. The hatchery is closed so it’s a long hike to get above the hatchery. I could find almost nowhere with enough room to swing until a good 1/2 mile upstream of the hatchery. One of my friends went 1/4 on Thursday fishing beads under a bobber, and the one was probably close to 15#. Another buddy got a nice one this morning on beads, but it’s incredibly crowded, even for the Mad. I continued my string of nada from Thursday.

On a positive note, I joined two of my buddies and one of their wives for a great evening of good food, good drink, and great conversation at their place in McKinleyville. It almost felt normal - I’d forgotten how much I’ve missed that sort of thing.

Road Trip!

Good luck and let us know how you do. It would be nice to get up there this weekend but it’s not in the cards for me sadly.

Water dependent, I believe that February is the top month for winter steelhead on our North Coast.

For a new comers, all you need to do is hook one wild Steelhead on a fly to join the rabide Team.

For old timers, all you have to do is hook one more wild Steelhead on a trip to get you heart started again.

**I think tidewater fishing is still single handed fly rods and upriver is single hand or two handed.

There are probably a dozen good fly fishing guides now for swinging for winter Steelhead in Nor Cal because of Spey fishing.

20 years and more ago I never heard of anyone guiding winter Steelhead with a fly.

Then about 20 years ago some guides were guiding winter Runs with indicators.

About the same time Spey came in to the picture and now that last 10 years or more there are good guys guiding with two handed fly

rods, swinging sink-tips for winter Steelhead.

What I am getting at, go with one of these recommended two hand fly fishing guides if you want to learn and increase your chances.

*My timing numbers might be off a few years as I am retired and 75 now.

If I could have gotten all my customers to hook on smoken' hot wild Steelhead over 10 pounds I would be a millionaire now.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The river is in prime shape!!!!! Gotta go now!

BumpBailey hows the mainstem looking? Saw its at 4150 cfs at scotia and thinking its gotta be looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    BumpBailey hows the mainstem looking? Saw its at 4150 cfs at scotia and thinking its gotta be looking good
    It's a little busy bit color is good.

I’ll bet it’s busy up there with all the internet buzz going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post

I meant to say that it was a little pushy, not busy. I stayed below Miranda for the three days I was there. I kept hearing about how busy it was but to be honest, I really didn't see too many people fishing. Sunday was a little busy at the High Rock Gravel Bar but, I found a good run that kept me busy for a few hours. Only one boat drifted past and while there were a few others on said bar, there was plenty of room. Around lunch I went down river further to Holmes and it was the same thing, I had a good run all to myself but still no love... I finished off the evening Sunday back at Miranda and had the whole bar to myself. Perfect conditions and still nothing...
    Yesterday I went back to High Rock and fished from about 6:30 to almost noon. Still a little heavy but there was plenty of good soft water to swing into. Overall, I'd say it was in great shape and is probably perfect today on the main stem. All reports were dismal. I saw one fish jump and that was it..... Unfortunately, I just don't think it is a very robust run this year....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misty Eel.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	16730

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    I really didn't see too many people fishing. I just don't think it is a very robust run this year....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misty Eel.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	16730

That is putting it mildly. Fishing has sucked all over for steelhead. My first trip to Oregon was a bust. Both Trips to Norcal were really tough. Russian,was horrible,and the homeless are out of control. Hate to be a negative Nancy but we better have a stretch of wet weather and good ocean conditions in the next 5 years. Look at what Washington is going through right now. Yikes! I hope some folks get into them. I will be making one late season trip before I turn my sights elsewhere.
    Last edited by avidangler; 03-03-2021 at 02:49 PM.