Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coastal weather looking promising...

Thanks for the words of caution WLREDBAND. The furthest drift south(upriver) I contemplated launching at was Richardson Grove. What are your thoughts of running from there to Benbow? How about Benbow to Garberville? You can only glean so much information from Google Maps.

Bump, you can launch at Richardson Grove and take out at the "Bear Pen" which is just above the low water bridge at the Benbow Campground. That is a short float, you may end up doing the run twice depending upon the water flow and how much time you spend fishing various spots. I have made a full day out of that short float many times. Redband gave you good advice, don't drift upstream of Richardson Grove. If you float past the Bear Pen, you will have a problem at the low water bridge, which is half a mile or so downstream of Bear Pen.
    Bear Pen is a good spot to fish, another good spot is upstream of Piercy at the Standley Creek underpass access point off of Hwy. 271. Huge 1000 yard long gravel bar, though not all of the water is good for your swinging flies. I have launched my DB at the upper end of Standley Creek gravel bar and fished that long stretch then taken my boat out right under Hwy/ 101 several times. Fishy water!

If you launch at the Benbow Inn and drift to Dean Creek that is a great drift, easy rowing for the most part. Based on what I saw when I looked at the water at the Benbow Inn yesterday, that drift should be good Saturday or Sunday.

Benbow Inn to PG&E (Garberville) requires a key for the gate that was installed on the access road just behind the PG&E facility, which is behind the Renner gasoline plaza.

Good luck, hope you find some fish!

Would love to hear any reports! I’ve scheduled some calls from Sonoma County to Eureka next week, with plenty of extra time. Planning to hit the Navarro and VD, for the moment. Looks like this weekend and week could be as good as conditions get...

I agree with ST's post that follows. Good luck if you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    Thanks for the words of caution WLREDBAND. The furthest drift south(upriver) I contemplated launching at was Richardson Grove. What are your thoughts of running from there to Benbow? How about Benbow to Garberville? You can only glean so much information from Google Maps.

Gotta agree with WLDREDBAND, that portage at piercy is a doozy, hell I took a swim there once doing that, and there is a nasty Boulder garden bend below that is big trouble if you don’t know it well.
    Richardson grove down should be solid, and as long as debris is cleared at Benbow you can cruise under that bridge. The stretch just below Richardson Grove where it runs beside 101 ALWAYS holds a large pod, emphasis on always. Most consistent stretch on the river generally.

Fished the south fork eel river Friday afternoon and all day yesterday. No luck for me. Just exploring and learning the water. Fished under bear canyon rd bridge, benbow, and some spots between richardson grove and piercy.

Half of the battle is finding river access. Drift boat or raft is the way to go. I have a kayak at home but don’t know the river well enough to have confidence launching it.

Talked to one gentlemen who landed a nice hen on the fly near Benbow.

A lot of drift boats on the river. One boat I talked too got some in the morning on plugs.

Going to try some other stretches of river(one spot in redway i scoped out, then stopping by Leggett and maybe the big bend lodge if they let me park) before driving home today. Day 3 maybe the fish gods will bless me.

Cheers and thanks for the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by casper916 View Post

A lot of drift boats on the river.
    That is the understatement of the century. Ain't no one working these days!!!

Thanks again WLREDBAND & Steelin’ Time for the intel. It was very helpful. I got up there late Saturday Morning and made my first stop at Richardson Grove to check out the put-in. I happened on nice guy swinging his two hander there, Kevin a fellow Keine’s Board Member and we swapped a little intel. I hope you got into some Kevin and it was nice meeting you. After checking into the Dean Creek Resort I did a little walk n wade just above Benbow on Saturday afternoon. I saw at least 7 maybe 8 boats drift by in about 2 hours’ time. All reports were the same 0 or, 1 or two chances.... In my 3-4 hours of swinging I felt, nor saw anything.

Sunday we drifted from Richardson Grove down to the Benbow Inn. Flows on the Miranda Gauge were at 1,150cfs. Unfortunately, we were accompanied by 4 or 5 other boats on that float but we eventually all spread out and it was a good float. We tend to use the boat more as a shuttle to get to prime swing water. But, we aren’t wasting all that water in between. We play the nymphing(egging?) game we just don’t back row to often. There was really only one sketchy spot on that drift, there was/is a bit of a rock garden just above the 101 Bridge that is just before the low water bridge at Benbow, we tagged one rock pretty good. It might have been avoidable if I hadn’t spun my oar right before digging in.... The low water bridge was a little challenge too and we did make it but, there was a little contact going under it. Frankly, the Trinity has beaten up my boat more than any other river has. I’ll add that I don’t think I would float that section again in my drifter with flows any lower than they were. I think that rock garden could get sketchy at lower flows.... Fishing was super slow for us and for all those we spoke with. No touches or sightings...

Monday and Tuesday we did the same drift, Myers Flat to the Forks. That was a super mellow drift. Monday had a lot of boats up and down the river. We saw numerous boats flying down the highway each direction and on once on the river we were jockeying with 4 others. Tuesday was quieter and had us trading positions with three others. But, again we all spread out and did our own things, it was peaceful! Monday was another quiet day and all reports we heard were either one or a lost one or nothing at all. We were still optimistic going into our last day together and doing the same drift we felt a little more confident. Our thoughts were that with the Main Stem almost in shape it would allow more fish to move again and they would dash into the SF(that’s what we were telling ourselves anyway) which was going to be in prime shape with the Miranda Gauge reading 700CFS on Tuesday. We got the boat launched our shuttle done and we were in the game early. Adam had one on a bout a mile from the put in but lost it after about a minute of tug o war. Ouch! Finally a player on the line and we got played. Oh well. Lunch break had passed and the realization of my 4.5 hour drive was starting to set in. Adam took the sticks and I had about an hour left in this journey. We got the point where the Giant Redwood had fallen into the river recently, not the one you could drift under, the next one. Just above that beast I had a couple of beads drifting river right when a pig of a fish came out and smacked it hard, fish on! It came to the top, about 10 feet from the boat, shiny as a brand new dime, turned 180 degrees and headed back to the log jam he came out from under. It was either put the breaks on or let him get to the jam, I opted for the break, snap! 15lb test was no match..... &*!^%#. Next thing in knew I was on my way home with a smile on my face. What an awesome weekend it was. I didn’t have to worry about work, got to hang out with my buddy and enjoy life with all responsibilities on the back burner for a few days. We met some cool people, some kind of surly ones too and learned a little more about this river. Sure, I was bummed we didn’t land either of the fish we connected with. But, excited that we actually connected with a couple. We were doing something right! Nice to get those affirmations once in a while! It is such an incredibly beautiful place. It is truly the land of giants up there. I just wish we could figure out a way to bring the fish back. Free The Eel!

Nice report Bump. Thank you for the story.

Thanks for taking us along BB!! Way to get one of those elusive winter ghosts on the line in the final hour. Awesome!