Thread: Carp Near Auburn

Default Carp Near Auburn

Anyone know of any good carp fishing spots within 20-30 minutes of Auburn? Thinking about getting into the carp game, and don't know any good spots. Thanks!

NK

Come down the hill and get into any lower elevation water. With the cooler weather dropping temps aren't going to be prime time for chasing carp.

Warmer shallow waters are going to be the best choice locations but this is December. Now, having said that, we've caught them by accident in both the Feather and the Sac while chasing striped bass and using large clousers.
    Tony
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...pss4oojk2g.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...scarpemail.jpg
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks! One more question I would have is if there are any flats for wading on folsom that anyone knows about for carp in the spring/summer?

NK

Default Carp at Folsom Lake

Back when I was fishing for Bluegill/Crappie from shore in Folsom Lake, I found Carp in the are of New York Creek (Ice House??). No flats but easily waded with shallow Carp feeding with their backs out of water. Some big Carp there. I would guess that it'd be the same near wherever streams/creeks enter the lake.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think that people fish for them in Scotts Flat. I am sure there are also some in Englebright but the topography of that lake is not great for fly fishing to them.

Call Tom Page at Reel Anglers in GV and ask him. You could also ask for some input from FFS.

But as stated above it's not the best time of year for such shenanigans.

Rattlesnake Bar gets a decent number of carp in the spring as well, and that’s a shade closer to you. April, when the lake is on the rise, is the prime time. Haven’t tried it at other times of the year. And I’ll echo the others - it’s April - Sept for the most part. The fish head deep in colder weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    Anyone know of any good carp fishing spots within 20-30 minutes of Auburn? Thinking about getting into the carp game, and don't know any good spots. Thanks!

NK
    I have seen many Carp in Folsom lake during the spring. Usually 2-4 of them swimming around in the shallows when the water is high.

We have caught them by accident targeting bass using small Ned Rigs on spinning gear.

Not sure what kind of flies carp like but anywhere at Folsom Lake is worth a shot in my opinion.