Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washington Outlaws Steelhead Fishing from a drift boat or raft!

Mostly affects the drift boat bobber guys. Spey casters will be unaffected.��

The spey fishing community pushed hard for this restriction. No doubt about it. And therein lies the rub. When the spey community pushes for restrictions that impact their own community also (they have not done so yet, it's always the "other" guys fault) they may gain a bit more credibility with other user groups, to share the burden of conservation that they also are contributing to, who may then be more accepting of restrictions that are probably needed. Just sayin'.
    <<<Mostly affects the drift boat bobber guys. Spey casters will be unaffected.>>>
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 12-12-2020 at 01:21 PM.

There is a fairly robust discussion on this over on Speypages, which includes some specific opinions from anglers a bit more involved in the overall process. My highly abbreviated take is that it won’t fix all that’s wrong with anadromous runs on the OP, but it’s better than either a complete closure or doing nothing at all. There are more detailed thought here from myself and others (who have far more first hand knowledge):

https://www.speypages.com/threads/op...g-only.404221/
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

believe the tribes gill nets are ok .as floating devices are banned .
    Troutaholic61

Much of the problem is pelagic: The warming of the oceans and the decline of food sources that salmon and steelhead depend upon. Global warming is a much harder fix, I'm afraid. Still, we should do everything that we can, inshore, to prevent further declines. Bill Carter has some excellent observations on this in his book "Red Summer." Highly recommended reading.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    Much of the problem is pelagic: The warming of the oceans and the decline of food sources that salmon and steelhead depend upon. Global warming is a much harder fix, I'm afraid. Still, we should do everything that we can, inshore, to prevent further declines. Bill Carter has some excellent observations on this in his book "Red Summer." Highly recommended reading.
    Doing things inshore but allowing open season in the ocean isn’t gonna help anything. The sockeye hatchery alone (Russia, Japan, others) makes it hard for many others to compete for food on top of commercial boats from MANY countries. You can’t have spawners if they don’t return.

Yes, there are huge super high tech commercial fleets from many countries out there vacuuming up all the oceans "protein".....

I am sure with all the new technologies they can find our salmon out in the open ocean.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........