Thread: Pyramid Dec 9th

Default Pyramid Dec 9th

Started out in 17 degree weather with the highs to be in the mid forties. Wind was mostly from the north but it clocks 360 degrees as he day gets going. My goal was to fish a naked nymph system for the day. Just to cover my bases I was also prepared to indicator fish midges and balanced leeches. For insurance I did have in my car if truth be told a stripping set up just in case it got crazy with beetle/ bugger combos by the beach gang.

There were 9 guys earlier than me by the time I arrived. I tried finding a spot close to where I usually like to fish but it wasnÂ’t in the cards today. I found a nice drop off a ways away. I first tried my balanced leech on an indo rig and on my second cast I got a five pounder. Ummmm should I try a naked setup? Well I fished the indo for another hour or more with nada. Time for the balanced leech/black ap setup. I used a Denny Richards 7 foot midge tip with another 9 feet of leader. I figured 15 feet letÂ’s the flies hover around 11 feet below the surface and near the bottom of the shoreline. I was not as confident about catching fish with this new setup but I want to try new ideas to see if they work. I wasnÂ’t afraid of zeroing out since I did get one to hand for the day. The long and short of it is, I did manage two more to hand with this set up. I like it because i was connected to the flies like stripping a beetle, maybe just a tad more rhythmically. In the final hour I changed back once again to the indicator rig for smirks. I landed one last one to hand.

So how did the day of experimenting compare to the beach? It was a super slow day for many others. I know three guys who are veteran fishers did quite well but the rest like the guy next to me fished all day and came up with a zero. I was surprised because he told me he fishes Pyramid 30 times or more times a year. I could tell he knew what he was doing and had the right set up. ThatÂ’s the mid for you. Just before leaving a young man again fishing all day with the perfect stripping set up who had not caught a fish finally hooked and landed a 11 lb lahontan. He was ecstatic. He and his buddies were pumped. It was great seeing young guys doing something we all love to do no matter the experience level.

Nice report with some good results. Is the “naked setup” the same as the “floater no cator” method?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Started out in 17 degree weather with the highs to be in the mid forties. Wind was mostly from the north but it clocks 360 degrees as he day gets going. My goal was to fish a naked nymph system for the day. Just to cover my bases I was also prepared to indicator fish midges and balanced leeches. For insurance I did have in my car if truth be told a stripping set up just in case it got crazy with beetle/ bugger combos by the beach gang.

There were 9 guys earlier than me by the time I arrived. I tried finding a spot close to where I usually like to fish but it wasnÂ’t in the cards today. I found a nice drop off a ways away. I first tried my balanced leech on an indo rig and on my second cast I got a five pounder. Ummmm should I try a naked setup? Well I fished the indo for another hour or more with nada. Time for the balanced leech/black ap setup. I used a Denny Richards 7 foot midge tip with another 9 feet of leader. I figured 15 feet letÂ’s the flies hover around 11 feet below the surface and near the bottom of the shoreline. I was not as confident about catching fish with this new setup but I want to try new ideas to see if they work. I wasnÂ’t afraid of zeroing out since I did get one to hand for the day. The long and short of it is, I did manage two more to hand with this set up. I like it because i was connected to the flies like stripping a beetle, maybe just a tad more rhythmically. In the final hour I changed back once again to the indicator rig for smirks. I landed one last one to hand.

So how did the day of experimenting compare to the beach? It was a super slow day for many others. I know three guys who are veteran fishers did quite well but the rest like the guy next to me fished all day and came up with a zero. I was surprised because he told me he fishes Pyramid 30 times or more times a year. I could tell he knew what he was doing and had the right set up. ThatÂ’s the mid for you. Just before leaving a young man again fishing all day with the perfect stripping set up who had not caught a fish finally hooked and landed a 11 lb lahontan. He was ecstatic. He and his buddies were pumped. It was great seeing young guys doing something we all love to do no matter the experience level.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Nice report Bill.

It almost sounds like the Danged Cutthroats are becoming a little less cooperative.

Good job in mixing up your techniques too.

Getting stronger and feeling a little better everyday.........

Bob

Yes Peter you’re right no cator. The one difference is on the cator you might have the cator set up for say 8 feet. In the no cator method if you want 8 feet of depth you have to use a factor of 1.25 times the leader length to get 8 feet. I really liked fishing this way.

Hi Bob glad to hear you’re getting better. I think the numbers ate going down as the days get shorter and colder. From reading the book on Pyramid I’ve met to middle December are it’s best months for large and numbers of fish. Come late March to middle of April are prime again. Even our friends numbers are dropping this time of the year. You have to work hard at getting any numbers. You know it’s no secret, the more your fly lives in the water the better your chances.

Quinn, thanks for the info. I got to try that method out sometime.

Quinn and BS, I am planning on going up to Pyramid sometime at the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. If you guys want to meet up to fish, let me know. Of course, this is after you are feeling better and in the clear Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Nice report Bill.

It almost sounds like the Danged Cutthroats are becoming a little less cooperative.

Good job in mixing up your techniques too.

Getting stronger and feeling a little better everyday.........

Bob

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Quinn, thanks for the info. I got to try that method out sometime.

Quinn and BS, I am planning on going up to Pyramid sometime at the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. If you guys want to meet up to fish, let me know. Of course, this is after you are feeling better and in the clear Bob!
    Peter, there's nothing more I'd like to do than catch up with you and Bill at the lake................. and swipe your Troll Doll while you weren't paying attention.

I walked to the mailbox today (3 houses down and across the street) and was tired when I got home.
    So, nope, I'm not ready yet.

Heaven help those Dang Cutthroats once I'm better....................

Bob

Bob you get here when your body is ready. The fish will be here waiting to earn that dang cutthroat moniker.

Peter I will be there Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Last edited by Quinnphoto; 12-10-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Lol, Bob I think Quinn has the lucky troll doll this year. Get better soon bud! I am sure the fish will be hungry when you come back.

Quinn, sounds good man! I don’t think i can make it those days but maybe next time!

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Peter, there's nothing more I'd like to do than catch up with you and Bill at the lake................. and swipe your Troll Doll while you weren't paying attention.

I walked to the mailbox today (3 houses down and across the street) and was tired when I got home.
    So, nope, I'm not ready yet.

Heaven help those Dang Cutthroats once I'm better....................

Bob

Peter V